Frequently Asked Questions

For Special Event Insurance, please complete the Risk Management Special Event Review Form (PDF).  Upon review, Risk Management will advise if special event insurance is required along with providing a quote for the insurance coverage. 

The University’s self-insurance programs cover the negligent acts or omissions of an employee while they are in the course and scope of university employment. Employee is defined by government code 810.2 as follows: 810.2. "Employee" includes an officer, judicial officer as defined in Section 327 of the Elections Code, employee, or servant, whether or not compensated, but does not include an independent contractor.

The University’s self-insurance programs cover state officers, employees, and volunteers (servants). Students, alumni, guests or invitees are not defined as an employee and therefore are not covered under the university’s self-insurance programs.

When you sign a contract/agreement with a hotel, often times the contract/agreement will include language that makes the University legally responsible for our guest and invitees. That means if a guest or invitee causes damage to the hotel or bodily injury to another person during your event, the University may be held legally responsible for their negligent act or omission and the resulting damages since the University signed the contract/agreement. The University’s self-insurance programs do not provide insurance coverage for these 3rd parties (non-CSULB employees).

In some cases, the hotel will allow us to revise the language so that we are not held legally responsible for our guests or invitees. This is why the Purchasing Director and/or Contract Manager is delegated authority to review, approve and sign all contracts/agreements on behalf of the university. If the hotel (or other facility) does not allow revisions to the contract/agreement, we need to purchase a special event insurance policy in order to cover the event.

Yes. If you are traveling with a spouse, partner, or child, you may purchase FTIP insurance for the individual(s) at your own cost. Receipt of payment must be received and approved by Risk Management no less than five (5) days before departure. Insurance coverage will not be provided if the premium is not paid 5 days prior to departure.  In section #4 of the International Travel Information Form, please provide the individual(s) name, relationship, and age (if under 18).

Yes. The CSU Foreign Travel Insurance Program may extend coverage for up to 14 days of personal travel. However, if the number of personal days affects the premium cost that covers the business days, you will need to pay the difference. (Example:   To cover 15 business days, the premium is $60. Adding 5 personal days will increase the premium to $75. You will need to pay the difference of $15 to cover your personal travel). The premium difference due can be paid through CashNet or by check or money order made payable to CSULB.  If paying by check or money order, please contact Risk Management for a deposit   form. The completed form can be submitted to the Cashier Services Window located on the 1st floor of Brotman Hall.  

The Safe Traveler Enrollment Program is a free service that allows U.S. citizens traveling or living abroad to receive the latest security updates from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. In the event of an emergency while abroad, you would be notified and provided additional information on where to go for safe shelter. This will only happen if you register with STEP. All CSULB travelers are strongly encouraged to sign up for STEP.

All faculty, student, and staff traveling internationally on CSU business are required to use the California State University Risk Management Authority (CSURMA) Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP).  Technical Letter RM-2014-01 addresses High Hazard International Travel Approval Process and Requirements to Purchase Insurance.

The General Release of All Claims is a one (1) page form and is used for high risk/physical activities that take place on campus. The Release of Liability is a two (2) page form that is required for high risk/physical activities which take place off campus and/or involves some form of transportation (bus, train or plane etc.) Once signed, the form should be kept on file with the department for a least two (2) years after the event date ends.