The Research Across the Curriculum: Course Redesign Program, funded through BUILD, provides an opportunity for faculty to submit a proposal for integrating research into an existing course. Specifically, the goal of is program is to have faculty engage in a redesign of the course to exemplify how specific disciplines engage in research by having students take part in hands-on activities and demonstrations in the classroom. Faculty are encouraged to redesign the course to facilitate the incorporation of these activities. Faculty teaching a course that has a laboratory component can also submit proposals to redesign existing course activities to introduce novel scientific approaches.
- Specific activities must be proposed that exemplify research in health-related disciplines (lab or field demonstrations of research methodologies, hands-on activities, etc.).
- Proposals must include a plan to evaluate the implemented activities (i.e., post-activity evaluation).
- Proposals must include a change to the Standard Course Outline (SCO) after program completion.
- A letter from the Department Chair must be provided, indicating support for the proposed changes and that the course will be continued to be offered and supported by the department in the future.
- The course must be offered by departments supported by BUILD in one of the following colleges: CHHS, CLA, CNSM, and COE.
- 3 units of release time
Restrictions and Limit on Number of Submissions:
- Preference may be given to proposals that benefit multiple BUILD students.
- An individual may be listed (PI or Co-Investigator) on only one proposal.
- Please note that the department/faculty is responsible for all costs incurred for running the course. BUILD will not provide any additional support (financially or otherwise) to run the course.
- The applications will be evaluated by the BUILD Internal Review Sub-Committee that includes broad representation across health-related research disciplines.
Download the Application provided below and submit the completed application to BUILD.IDC@csulb.edu. Please submit a Confidential Personal Data Form and any other supporting documentation.
Proposal Due Date: Monday, March 16, 2020, by 5 pm pacific time