Training Activities and Components
The following activities are an integral part of your BUILD training experience. These are required, as outlined below and on the Program Participation Policy page.
⇒ Summer Research
- In the summer before their first year in the program, Scholars and Fellows work with their BUILD Faculty Mentors full time (up to 34 hours/week), in addition to attending an 8-week Summer Learning Community (Summer Undergraduate Research Gateway to Excellence) from June to July.
- In the subsequent summer, Scholars are expected to apply to participate in a summer research internship at a research-intensive university that offers doctoral degrees (i.e., R1 university) or a research institution for research experience with another research mentor. Scholars apply for these internship opportunities in the fall/winter of the first year of the program. You can find information about some internship opportunities on the Health-Related Research Opportunities page.
⇒ Faculty-mentored Research
- During the semester, Scholars and Fellows continue to work on research with their BUILD Faculty Mentor. Trainees are expected to spend on average 15 research hours per week during the semester.
⇒ BUILD Learning Community Seminar
- Scholars and Fellows are required to enroll in a 1-unit Learning Community Seminar (UNIV 395 for Year 1 Scholars and UNIV 495 for Year 2 Scholars and Fellows) in each semester (no exceptions). If mandatory course conflicts arise, arrangements can be made for students to make up the work in GA office hours.
⇒ BUILD Research Curriculum
- Scholars and Fellows are required to take at courses from the Research Curriculum. Learn more about specific requirements on the Research Curriculum page.
⇒ Responsible Conduct of Research
- Scholars and Fellows are required to complete online and face-to-face training in Responsible Conduct of Research. If applicable, a minimum of 8 hours must be completed within the first year.
⇒ BUILD Research Colloquium Attendance
Scholars and Fellows are required to attend two BUILD Research Colloquium talks in each semester.
⇒ GRE Preparation
Scholars and Fellows are offered GRE workshops and preparation support. It is highly recommended that Scholars participate in the GRE workshops by early Spring semester of their first year in the Scholars program and they are required to take the GRE exam at least once by the summer before their second year.
⇒ Professional Conference Travel
- Scholars are expected to attend the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS) or Society for Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics & Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) during the first year and present their research at a professional conference in their disciplines in the second year. Travel support is available from BUILD yearly.
- Fellows are expected to attend either ABRCMS, SACNAS or professional conference designated by their Research Mentor during the year to present their research. Travel support is available from BUILD.
If you have any questions about these activities and requirements, you may find answers -- as well as who to contact about what -- on the FAQs for Current Students page.