Policy Statement - 84-06 Educational Leave

[This Policy Statement supercedes Policy Statement 73-2.] 

This policy was recommended by the Academic Senate on November 29, 1984 and received the concurrence of the President on December 7, 1984. 


Any registered student, undergraduate or graduate, in good academic standing may request an Educational Leave. The student requesting an Educational Leave shall complete an Educational Leave Form, IN ADVANCE, including an explanation of his or her reasons for seeking the leave and a statement of when he or she intends to resume academic work. The completed form is to be submitted for approval to the student's department chair (undergraduate) or graduate advisor. 

The minimum initial leave will be one full semester; the maximum will be one calendar year. A student may request, in writing, in advance, an extension of leave. Under no circumstances shall the total number of approved educational leaves exceed two, nor shall the duration of approved educational leaves extend beyond two calendar years. 

Students returning from an approved educational leave are required to submit an application form but will not be required to pay another application fee. Students returning from an absence for which an educational leave was appropriate but not approved, in advance, must pay the reapplication fee. 

Graduate students who plan to enroll for credit at another institution of higher education during the leave period must obtain prior approval for the transfer of course credit to the student's program from the department graduate advisor, department chair, and the school Dean or designee. 

The period of an educational leave is counted in the calculation of elapsed time under the regulations governing the maximum period for completion of degree requirements (seven years for graduate students). 

For the period of an educational leave the student's rights under the Election of Regulation rule are preserved, maintaining the right of the student to elect regulations as if he or she had maintained continuous attendance. 

Students who fail to enroll in two or more consecutive semesters PLACE THEMSELVES in jeopardy under the continuous enrollment provisions of the election of regulations rules. This includes the automatic loss of "advanced to candidacy (candidate)" status. Moreover, students who break residency and lose candidate status do not have a presumptive right to "reinstatement" of their candidacy. These students should be required to go through the process of "readvancement." 

An educational leave presupposes no expenditure of University resources or faculty and staff time in the behalf of the student during the period of the leave. In addition, no computer facilities, no library privileges, and no student services are available to a student on educational leave. 

EFFECTIVE: Immediately