Although the authority to review and approve courses for inclusion in the general education curriculum and to develop general education policy belongs ultimately to the Curriculum and Educational Policies Council, the primary responsibility for the general education program belongs to the General Education Governing Committee. The major aspect of this responsibility is approval and periodic review of individual courses, as well as periodic review of the entire program.
The GEGC shall
- review courses for inclusion on the General Education Master Course List and notify departments of all decisions and actions;
- develop criteria for review of courses that are consistent with the intent of general education at CSULB and the standards for skills and content delineated in Policy Statement 08-00, General Education, Executive Order 595, and Title 5;
- review the guidelines for assessment of courses, which may include embedded assessment;
- review the guidelines for program-level assessment;
- review the results of periodic assessment of the outcomes of the program, as well as the results of assessment of student perceptions of the general education experience, interacting with the Assessment Director in this regard;
- review the general education program periodically to determine the degree to which actual practice matches the stated intent of the policy;
- make recommendations to the CEP Council regarding policy issues or to the appropriate administrator regarding implementation issues, when necessary; and
- disseminate information on the content and conduct of courses under this policy by publishing an annual compendium of ideas furthering the goals of general education at CSULB drawn from those presented to the committee.
Membership of the GEGC shall consist of
- two faculty members from each college except Liberal Arts,
- four faculty members from Liberal Arts,
- two librarians from Library and Academic Technology Services
- two lecturers,
- the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs or designee,
- the General Education Coordinator,
- the Director of the Academic Advising Center or designee
- the President of the Associated Students, Inc., or designee , and
- one member of the Curriculum and Educational Policies Council, selected by the Council, who should also be a member of the GEGC if possible; if an individual with dual membership is not available, the Council member becomes a non-voting member of the GEGC.
- Faculty members shall serve staggered, three-year terms to insure continuity. Members may serve consecutive terms.
Near the end of the Spring Semester, the GEGC shall elect for the following year a chair, vice-chair, and secretary from among its voting members. In addition to presiding over the committee meetings, the chair shall write an annual report detailing the actions of the committee to the chair of the CEP Council, due at the end of the Spring Semester. The vice-chair shall serve as chair in the absence of the elected chair. The secretary shall keep minutes of the meetings.