College-Level Examination Program
The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a College Board program that allows students of a wide range of ages to demonstrate their mastery of college-level material in introductory subjects and earn college credit. CLEP offers examinations that represent courses typical of the first two years of college study. Through CLEP examinations, students can:
- Accumulate credit toward a degree by demonstrating knowledge they have gained independently, allowing them to begin studies at a higher level and save valuable time and money
- Demonstrate their knowledge in subject areas in order to earn exemption from introductory courses, enabling them to move ahead to more advanced courses and new fields
- Show their level of competency in subjects in order to determine placement, particularly for world language and mathematics courses
CLEP examinations are In-Person testing, Internet-Based Delivery Method and administered via an internet-based testing platform.
Most internet-based CLEP examinations are approximately 90-minutes in length; the College Composition exam is approximately 120 minutes.
Financial Accounting Information
Systems Introductory Business
Law Principles of Management
Principles of Marketing
Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Social Sciences and History
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
College Composition Modular
English Literature Humanities
French Language: Levels 1 and 2
German Language: Levels 1 and 2
Government and Politics
Social Sciences and History
History of the United States I
History of the United States II
Social Sciences and History
Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648
Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present
Human Growth and Development
Introduction to Educational Psychology
Spanish Language: Levels 1 and 2
Spanish with Writing
Before you register, pay, and schedule an appointment at CSULB Testing Department follow the procedures below:
- Visit the CLEP Exam Topics page and choose the exam you want to take. Explore each CLEP exam topic before you register to make sure you're taking the appropriate exam.
- Add the exam to your cart.
From the exam page, use the Add to Cart button to put the exam in your shopping cart.
- Sign in to your CLEP account.
To continue the checkout process, you will be asked to sign in to your CLEP My Account Portal. If you do not have account, you will need to Create a CLEP Account.
Once your CLEP registration is complete, please email CLEP-Testing@csulb.edu to schedule an appointment to take the CLEP at CSULB Testing Department. Please provide your CLEP Exam Registration Ticket ID, Ticket Expiration Date, DANTES eligibility, First Name & Last Name, telephone number, CLEP Exam Tittle and your preferred date and time. Once your request it’s approve you can complete the Test Center Proctoring Fee registration by selecting “CSULB CLEP Online Registration”. Students must have a CLEP Exam Registration Ticket ID to proceed with scheduling an appointment.
Testing appointments are based on time and room availability. There is NO guarantee that you will get the date you request, other programs in the Testing Department may supersede available spaces. Advance notice (a month in advance) may make it easier to get a preferable time and date.
Once you schedule an appointment, you will receive an email with all test details. The email specifies the test date, time, and room assignment. If examinees do not receive an email within two days, please contact Testing Department at (562)985-4007 or CLEP-Testing@csulb.edu Monday - Friday / Office hours 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Please be sure to arrive 15 minutes prior your reporting time. If you arrive late, you will not be admitted into the testing room and your test fees will not be refunded and/or rescheduled.
Must provide a valid CLEP registration ticket from the CLEP My Account Portal and a valid and current government-issued physical ID. Students will not be admitted into the room without proper identification. When checking in, you will be asked for identification. Your ID must include:
- Your full name, in English language characters, exactly as it appears on the registration ticket, including the order of the names
- Your recognizable photograph that clearly matches the test taker
- Your signature
- Your date of birth
- A recent, recognizable photograph
A second valid ID may be requested of any examinee. Please review the CLEP ID Requirements information.
Test takers are not allowed to bring their own calculators into the testing room. Calculators are integrated into the CLEP exam software to help test takers solve questions on some CLEP science and math exams and the Financial Accounting exam.
An Unofficial Score Report will be provided after completing the CLEP exam. If you took the College Composition or Spanish with Writing exams, it takes College Board 2–3 weeks to deliver a score report for these exams.
Accommodations are available for test takers with a learning or physical disability that would prevent you from taking a CLEP exam under standard conditions. Before you schedule your testing appointment at CSULB Testing Department, please contact us at (562)985-4007 or CLEP-Testing@csulb.edu Monday - Friday / Office hours 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
To reschedule your Test Center Proctoring appointment, please email CLEP-Testing@csulb.edu at least two business days prior to scheduled test date to avoid additional charges. Testing appointment must be reschedule within two months from scheduled test date.
Examinees will not receive a refund for rescheduling their appointment since they are still going to take the exam.
Test Center Proctoring Fee $50 are nonrefundable.
CLEP examsas well as examination guides and study guides are refundable. Review the following CLEP Refund Policies:
- CLEP Exams: Refundable for up to 7 days from the date of purchase, with the exception of redeemed tests.
- CLEP Official Study Guides: Guides that are in new, unused, and in resalable condition are refundable within 30 days of the order date with a copy of the packing slip.
- CLEP Examination Guides: Refundable within 7 days of the purchase date. You must submit a letter of destruction to process the refund of a CLEP e-guide.