Parent & Family Orientation
Parent & Family Programs hosts In-Person Parent & Family Orientation (PFO) sessions between May and August. These one-day workshops, which may coincide with your student's new student orientation, introduce our community, campus services/resources, university policies, and strategies for supporting your student's continued success. You'll also meet other parents and families who are new to the Beach Family.
Virtual PFO Fireside Chats are designed to complement your student’s SOAR Experience by providing topic-specific sessions that highlight campus resources, university policies & practices, as well as a forum for participants to ask their individual questions. Past topics included University Housing, BeachScholarships, Health & Wellness, and Financial Literacy. These Chats are hosted on Zoom and Facebook Live, and recordings are posted to our YouTube Channel.
- Virtual PFO Fireside Chats: No registration fee
- In-Person PFO: $40 per guest
- In-Person PFO: Parking fee of $15
- There is a limit of two registrations per student to ensure every student has the opportunity to have one family member participate
- Registration fees are non-refundable
In-Person Parent & Family Orientation
These sessions are designed to complement your student’s SOAR experience. We will provide live Q&A sessions with campus partners, lunch, plus an introduction to essential campus resources and programs. PFO will begin at 8:30am and conclude by 3:00pm.
Wednesday, June 14
Friday, June 16
Tuesday, June 20
Friday, June 23
Monday, June 26
Wednesday, August 2
Friday, August 4
Tuesday, August 8
PFO Presentations & Topics
- Take a Campus Tour
- Learn about Your Student's Academic Experience
- Discover How to Get Involved with the Out-of-Classroom Experience
- Explore Health & Wellness Resources
- Meet with University Police to Learn About Campus Safety
- Present Campus Resource & Services
Reserve Your Space
Make your reservation starting at 9:00am on Tuesday, April 4 by visiting Parent & Family Orientation Registration. Please note that due to space restrictions, there is a limit of two guests per student (this includes children). After submitting your registration and payment, you'll receive a confirmation, which will be sent to the email address listed on your online registration form. If you have any questions or concerns about reserving your PFO space, contact Parent & Family Orientation at 562.985.5515 or email@example.com. Please allow 1-2 business days for our team to respond.
Summer 2023 Virtual PFO Fireside Chats
Virtual PFO orientations are designed to complement your student’s SOAR Experience. We will provide you with virtual presentations, Q&A (Zoom/FB Live) webinars, plus other key information about campus resources and programs. Check below to learn more about registration dates and topics.
Summer 2023 Virtual Fireside Chats dates and times will be announced in late May 2023.
What do I wear to an In-Person PFO Session?
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes as you'll be participating in a campus tour, listening to speakers, and interacting with campus representatives along with other program participants
- Recommended attire: Jeans, T-shirt, tennis shoes, light jacket
How do I attend In-Person PFO on the same date as my student’s orientation workshop?
- If possible, coordinate your student's orientation workshop to coincide with a PFO date
- Some PFO dates may not be available to attend as the same date as your student’s orientation workshop date
What if my student's orientation does not fall on any of the In-Person PFO dates?
- If your student has already registered for an orientation that does not coincide with any of our In-Person PFO dates, students may contact SOAR at 562.985.5515 to see speak with a representative who can determine orientation space availability and assist with coordinating dates
- Please note that due to space limitations, some In-Person PFO dates may not be available to attend as the same date as your student’s orientation date
Can I bring more than two guests to PFO?
- There will be a two person registration limit per student
- Registration limits may change if we have more availability closer to the date. Contact PFO at 562.985.5515 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance
What if all the dates I am able to attend have filled up?
- PFO will have a waitlist available. If space become available, participants will be contacted in the order that they were added to the list
- Join the PFO waitlist by emailing email@example.com
Will we get a chance to view the campus?
- Yes, guided tours and self-tours will be available at the beginning of each PFO session
Will lunch be provided?
- Yes, we will have chicken, vegetarian, or gluten-free options available
Is CSULB an ADA friendly campus?
- Yes, CSULB is an ADA friendly campus. If you need further assistance, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Learn more about our campus’ ADA compliance by contacting the Bob Murphey Access Center (BMAC) at BMAC@csulb.edu
What if I need to reschedule my PFO date?
- Please contact Parent & Family Programs by emailing email@example.com or calling 562.985.5515 – we will try to accommodate your request.