Office of Undergraduate Research Services
The Office of Undergraduate Research Services (OURS), established in 2016, is charged with expanding undergraduate research opportunities to the California State University Long Beach (CSULB) student body. We will accomplish this long-term vision of undergraduate research at CSULB through:
- Developing a Coordinated Approach: Develop new programs and initiatives that promote the goals of the University Strategic Pillars of Intellectual Achievement, Inclusive Excellence and the Public Good.
- Collaboration and Partnerships: Work in collaboration with staff and faculty in all CSULB Colleges, Divisions and units to cultivate strong relationships in support of undergraduate research.
- Outreach: Outreach to students and faculty to promote undergraduate research engagement.
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Dissemination: Serve as a central place for CSULB students, faculty and campus partners to learn about undergraduate research opportunities.
- Expansion of Undergraduate Research Opportunity Structure: Long-range strategic planning, program implementation, faculty and student recruitment, along with other educational and capacity building aspects of the program.
Statement of Solidarity
The Office of Undergraduate Research Services (OURS) team stands in solidarity with our Black community on our CSULB campus. The killings of Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Aubrey, George Floyd, Tony McDade and many other Black lives are a stark reminder of the racial injustice and police brutality that the Black community face every day in our society. We recognize the profound anguish and additional trauma that members of the Black community carry as a result of systematic racism and violence. We call upon all students, faculty, staff and the CSULB community – especially those who do not hold oppressed or marginalized identities to help us demonstrate that OURS is a community of care and respect. At OURS, we provide research opportunities for all CSULB undergraduate students and many of our programs are aimed at providing opportunities for historically underrepresented populations, including our Black community members. To our Black students, we see you, we hear you, we value you and we are committed to changing the system. We will continue to create a welcoming environment that supports Black lives and fosters a sense of belonging, create safe spaces for open dialogues, and work with our Black students, staff and faculty to improve our curriculum and services. Finally, we call on our OURS community to act – listen, learn, speak up, advocate and show up for one another.
In firm solidarity,
The OURS team