Graduate Writing Support
The Graduate Writing Specialist offers writing support to all currently-enrolled CSULB graduate students (MA/MS degree and doctoral program students) or other post-baccalaureate students (e.g., credential and certificate program students). Writing support may involve assistance with all stages of the writing process, from brainstorming/pre-writing to final revisions/editing. It may also involve general consultation about academic writing concerns (e.g., avoiding plagiarism or overcoming writing anxiety). The Writing Specialist is also available for consultations with faculty and staff and for classroom presentations on writing-related topics.
To schedule a 45-minute writing support appointment, click on the button below**.
**Scroll down to read about appointment policies.
If you cannot find a suitable time using the scheduling tool above, please email the Graduate Writing Specialist, Omar Hussein, directly at Omar.Hussein@csulb.edu. While we cannot guarantee that a mutually acceptable appointment time can always be found, we will do our best to work with you and to make alternative arrangements when possible.
In addition, the following resources offer various types of writing support to the CSULB community:
- University Writing Center (open to all CSULB students, both graduate and undergraduate)
- Career Development Center (offers career-development support--including career counseling, job searches, and assistance with résumés--for CSULB students and alumni)
- BMAC Center (offers writing support to students with disabilities)
- CSULB College of Engineering Writing & Communication Resource Center (offers writing support to CSULB Engineering students)
- The CSULB Learning Center (offers Language and Writing Tutoring for ESL students)
- Succeeding at the Beach website (offers text-based resources on academic writing, study skills, maintaining mental health, and other useful topics)
- The Graduate Writing Guy website (writing resource site maintained by our Graduate Writing Specialist; offers tutorials, videos, and other resources on graduate writing and graduate admissions).
--Appointment Format: Currently, the default is for all appointments to take place on Zoom. After your appointment request is approved (usually within 24 hours), you will receive an automatic confirmation email through the calendar tool (which is called YouCanBookMe). A few days before the appointment, the Graduate Writing Specialist will send you an email that contains a Zoom invite. For details on how to use Zoom, visit the CSULB Zoom website. If you would prefer to meet in person or by phone, please email the Graduate Writing Specialist at Omar.Hussein@csulb.edu.
--Cancellations: If you have to cancel an appointment, you can do so through the confirmation email that you receive from the YouCanBookMe scheduling tool. You may also contact the Graduate Writing Specialist directly at Omar.Hussein@csulb.edu (email is the preferred option) or at (562) 985-8946. Whenever possible, please cancel at least 24 hours in advance.
--Late Arrival: Arriving more than fifteen minutes late (without advance notice) may result in the cancellation of your appointment.
--No Shows: Skipping appointments without canceling 24 hours in advance may result in restrictions on your ability to reserve future appointments.
--Number of Appointments: Generally, appointments are not accepted on consecutive days. For example, if you have an appointment on Monday, the Writing Specialist will decline an appointment request for the next day (i.e., Tuesday of the same week).
--Accommodations: If you wish to request any accommodations, including exceptions to any of these policies, please contact the Writing Specialist directly to discuss (see contact info below).
--Contacting the Graduate Writing Specialist: Email (preferred): Omar.Hussein@csulb.edu. Telephone: (562) 985-8946