- Applications are to be completed online via CalState Apply. You will submit the following via CalState Apply:
- Statement of Purpose. In your Statement of Purpose, please comment on your preparation for graduate study, why you are pursuing graduate school, and your personal goals related to graduate study and your career.
- Demonstration of Writing Proficiency. Students may demonstrate writing proficiency in one of two ways:
- Option 1: Submission of a writing sample related to nutrition science that demonstrates your research, analytical writing, and critical thinking abilities. This writing sample must be a minimum of 7 pages (double spaced and 12 point font) and may be a paper written for prior coursework (but may not be a collaborative assignment). Include a cover page that indicates the context (course name and number) and date of the writing sample. If you do not have a writing sample from a prior course that meets these criteria, you may prepare one related to selected current controversy in the nutrition field.
- Option 2: Submission of a GRE analytical writing score of 4.0 or above. If you choose this option, upload an unofficial copy of your GRE scores to CalState Apply and send GRE scores using the CSULB institution code, 4389.
- Unofficial transcript(s). Please upload an unofficial transcript from the institution at which you earned (or will earn) your bachelor’s degree in nutrition and any other transcripts that include nutrition coursework or program pre-requisites
- Three (3) letters of recommendation. Please provide contact information for three recommenders. An email will be generated and sent from firstname.lastname@example.org to the email addresses you provide, asking for a letter to be uploaded on your behalf. At least two letters must come from professors. One letter may come from a nutrition professional outside of the university setting (such as a work or volunteer supervisor). Please ask your recommenders to include a comment on your preparation for graduate study, including research, in their letters. Reviewers should regularly check their inbox and spam or junk folders – as occasionally emails are filtered there – for the email. Note: Letters of recommendation sent through DICAS (for internship applicants) are not sufficient; the three letters must also be uploaded in CSU Apply for the FCS department.
- Official transcripts must be provided to the University.
- Note: Official transcripts sent through DICAS (for internship applicants) are not sufficient for the MS in Nutritional Science application; official transcripts must also be provided to the University. Mail to:
Office of Enrollment Services/Graduate Admissions
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840
For any questions regarding the application process, please contact the current Graduate Assistant.
For students choosing the IPND Emphasis (Dietetic Internship):
Send these items via email to IPND Director, Dr. Gail Frank:
- The Letter of Intent (WORD) (Before December 1st is best, but these will be accepted until February 15th)
- The GPA Sheet (WORD)
- The Work Experience Sheet (WORD)
- An online payment for $45 made payable to CSULB (non-refundable)
Check out the IPND Website for more details.
International Students must go through the College of Professional and International Education before they can be admitted to the University.
For additional questions regarding the M. S. in Nutritional Science program contact the Graduate Assistant. Email is currently the best method of contact. The Graduate Assistant can set up a ZOOM call if you would like to schedule a meeting.