Using MyCSULB Personal Information
Your MyCSULB Student Center provides an easy way to access, view, and manage your CSULB Student Account online. This section of the website focuses on personal information on your student record and how to navigate your student center.
Once you login to the Single-Sign On Portal, you will be able to review the following areas within the personal information section of MyCSULB Student Center.
Addresses are categorized by type. Some examples of address types are home, mailing, and dormitory.
Locate the address that you would like to update and click on the blue link indicating the address type (i.e., Mailing Address, Home Address) within Contact Information in your Student Center.
Step 2 :
Select the address that you would like to update and click the “edit” button. You also have the option of adding a new address by clicking on the “Add A New Address” button.
Update the information on the proceeding page and click “OK.” Review your changes and click “Save.” In addition, you have the ability to enter an address change that will take effect in the future; do so by entering the date that you would like the change to be effective and click “Save.”
FERPA, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, will allow you to restrict the release of certain personal information. For more information regarding FERPA, click on the “Privacy Information” link under the Personal Information section; this will redirect you to the CSULB FERPA informational website. You have the ability to restrict all categories defined on the page, restrict specific categories, or select individual items.
Select “Privacy Settings” from the “other personal…” dropdown menu under the Personal Information section in the Student Center. Click the >> button.
This page will display your current FERPA settings. Click on the “Edit FERPA/Directory Restrictions” button to make updates.
Click on the checkbox(s) to restrict individual items. You may also restrict items by category by clicking on the “Restrict All” button within a category. Click “Save.”
To release restrictions, you may uncheck individual items or click the “Release All” button for an entire category. Click “Save.”
For more information regarding your rights and responsibilities as a CSULB student please see FERPA for Students.
Students are required to have at least one Emergency Contact listed in MyCSULB Student Center. It is recommended that students log in to MyCSULB Student Center to view or update Emergency Contacts at least once a year to make sure the information is current.
Steps to View or Update Emergency Contacts:
- Log in to MyCSULB Student Center
- Under Personal Information, select the Emergency Contact option
- Once on the Emergency Contacts screen, select Add an Emergency Contact to add an individual to your list. If you have more than one contact on your list, you must select a primary contact.
- To delete an entry, select the trash can icon. To modify an entry, select the pen icon.
- Select the Save button to confirm your entries or changes.
CSULB uses email for official University notifications. As a result, all enrolled students are required to maintain a CSULB Email account and check it regularly. You can view your email account information on your MyCSULB Student Center under “Personal Information.” You are responsible for ensuring this information is accurate and up-to-date. Failure to do so may result in missing important information!
If you do not have a current email account, please visit the Campus Technology Help Desk website or call them at (562) 985-4959.
Note: CSULB understands that the use of a name is not a preference, and that a First Name of choice should be used where possible in the course of university business and education. However, Preferred First Names cannot be used for purposes of misrepresentation or contain foul/inappropriate language.
- Log in to MyCSULB Student Center and click on the "Names" link on the left-side menu under the "Personal Information" panel.
- Select the pencil icon located on the "Preferred" row under the "Request Change" column of the table. Follow the instructions on the next page to request a Preferred First Name.
The processing time is approximately 3 business days. You will receive a confirmation email once your Preferred First Name request has been approved and updated in the system. Your email address will also be updated to match your preferred first name.
All printed diplomas will feature a student's Primary Name unless otherwise specified in MyCSULB Student Center. To designate a Preferred Diploma Name, follow the steps below before the last day of the semester you intend to graduate:
- In MyCSULB Student Center, under the "Personal Information" section, select the Names link from the left-side menu.
- Your current preferred names will display in the featured table. To add a new Diploma Name, select "Diploma" from the Name Type drop-down menu at the bottom of the page. Then select, the "Add" button.
- You may then request a different First or Middle Name to be printed on your diploma. All requests are reviewed for approval. Select the "Save" button to confirm your request.
Students have the opportunity to identify the pronouns by which they want to be referred. The university reserves the right to reject requests for pronouns that contain foul or inappropriate language, represent intentional misuse of this system, or are used for purposes of misrepresentation or academic misconduct.
In the Personal Information section, select Pronouns from the “other personal…” dropdown menu.
Select your Pronouns from the dropdown list.
- Use Name/Use Name/Use Name
- Not Listed – Enter your pronouns (subject/object/possessive)
Note: There are restrictions on what will be accepted as a student’s pronouns. The university reserves the right to reject requests for pronouns that contain foul or inappropriate language, represent intentional misuse of this system, or are used for purposes of misrepresentation or academic misconduct.
Select the “Save” button.
Your declared pronouns can be viewed in the Personal Information section of your Student Center, in the Demographic Data link.
Instructors will be able to view your declared pronouns when viewing their Class Roster.
User Preferences are established to assist you with navigation through your MyCSULB pages. The values that you can set are Institution, Academic Career, Term, and Aid Year. Institution was established at the time your MyCSULB account was created. By updating your Career, Term, and Aid Year, you will not have to enter the data each time you display a new menu. Remember to update these values when a new term is in session or a new Financial Aid Year has begun.
Click on the blue “User Preferences” link under the Personal Information section in the Student Center.
Select the parameters for your User Preferences and click “Save.”
The CSU collects voluntary demographic information regarding the sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression of students. (California Educational Code section 66027).
- Providing this information is optional.
- Your responses are kept private and secure. Limited campus staff will have access to this information.
- The data will not be used for discriminatory purposes.
- This information is used to provide services to all of our student population.
- This information is used for summary demographic reporting where no individual applicant’s identity will be revealed. In compliance with the CA Education Code, this summary information will be made available on CSU and campus websites and to the California Legislature.
In the Personal Information section, select “Identity” from the other personal drop down menu.
Click the >> button to navigate to the Identity tab.
Make your selections or update your previous selections by selecting one response from the drop down menu for each question.
Question 1 reads, “Do you consider yourself to be:” Select an option from the drop down menu. If “Another Orientation” is selected from the drop down menu, the box beneath the drop down menu will allow you to input your response.
Question 2 reads, “How do you describe yourself?” Select a response from the drop down menu. If “Another Identity” is selected from the drop down menu, the box beneath the drop down menu will allow you to input your response.
Question 3 reads, “How do you describe the way you express your gender identity in terms of behavior, appearance, speech, and movement?” Select a response from the drop down menu. If “Not Listed” is selected from the drop down menu, the box beneath the drop down menu will allow you to input your response.
Once your selections have been made, click the Save button.