The 2021 application for BUILD, MARC U*STAR and RISE has now closed. If you are interested in applying next year please fill out the Interest Form.
While 2020-2021 Information Sessions and Application Workshop have concluded, you can watch a recording of the sessions below. If you were unable to attend or watch an Info Session, the basic information presented is available on this website. To guide you through the application timeline, learn more about being a BUILD trainee, and guidance with the online application, please read through the sections below and click on the topic links. Email us at BUILD.email@example.com if you have a question about BUILD student training and email Nicole Streicker if you have questions about the application.
The 2021 application for BUILD, MARC U*STAR and RISE has now closed. If you are interested in applying next year please fill out the Interest Form. Please review the Application Elements and how to Find a BUILD Faculty Mentor web pages in preparation. Once you have the appropriate documents complete you are ready to begin the online application! The BUILD, MARC U*STAR and RISE application usually opens in November and due the last week or February.
Watch the 2020-2021 Application Workhshop recording below. This workshop walks through the applicaiton elements and process to help potential students.
The 2020-2021 Information Sessions have concluded. You can watch a recording of the last Information Session in the above video. These sessions provide information about the programs CSULB BUILD, LSAMP, McNair Scholars, MARC U*STAR, MMUF, OURS Connects, RISE, and UROP. You can find application and additional information for the other research programs by visiting the Info Session web page. Information Sessions are held multiple times a year during the fall and spring semesters between October and February for one hour. For questions about these sessions, please contact Keisha.ChinGoosby@csulb.edu.
Application Process Timeline
|October||First Fall Information Session|
|November||Applications Open / Second Fall Information Session|
|March||Spring Information Sessions / Application Due Sunday, March 7 at 11:59 pm|
|April||Interviews tentatively scheduled for the week following Spring Break. Schedules can vary by College; applicants will be notified by email of schedule changes.|
|June||BUILD Scholars and Fellows Programs Begin|
Information for Prospective Students
- Application Elements: Find out exactly what you will need for your application.
- Find a BUILD Faculty Mentor: Search the Mentor Directory to find research mentor in your field of interest.
- BUILD Scholars Program: An overview of the BUILD Scholars program.
- BUILD Fellows Program: An overview of the BUILD Fellows program.
- Research Curriculum: Courses you can take at CSULB to prepare you for a research career.
- What is Research? This page explores and explains the different types of research.
- FAQs about a Ph.D.: Frequently asked questions about a Ph.D.
- FAQs for Applicants: Frequenlty asked questions for potential BUILD applicants.