Policy Statement - 09-08 Academic Renewal (Supersedes PS 75-07)

Policy Statement
September 16, 2009

Academic Renewal

This policy was recommended by the Academic Senate on April 23, 2009

and approved by the President on August 20, 2009. 

(Supersedes PS 75-07)

An undergraduate student may petition to have all the grades and units received during one or two semesters (or up to three quarter terms) of undergraduate work disregarded in the computation of grade point averages and academic standing.  The work so disregarded may have been taken at any collegiate-level institution but no work taken during the disregarded terms, even if satisfactory, may apply toward baccalaureate requirements.  All grades and units attempted will remain on record.  At least five calendar years must have elapsed since the work in question was completed and the student must have subsequently completed 15 semester units with a 3.0 GPA (or 30 semester units with a 2.5 or 45 semester units with a 2.0) at CSULB before filing a request for disregarding the coursework.  At the time of filing the petition the student must have either already met all requirements for graduation other than one or more grade point averages or all other remaining requirements are in progress during the semester of filing.  No student may use academic renewal to raise any grade point average above what is required for graduation.

Students shall submit petitions for academic renewal to Enrollment Services.  Final determination shall be made by the provost (or designee) in consultation with the Academic Appeals Committee.  The petitioning student must certify that the work to be disregarded was substandard and not reflective of her or his current scholastic ability or present level of academic performance.  This certification must include a statement explaining the extenuating circumstances causing the substandard performance during the terms in question.  The student must also provide evidence that it would be necessary to complete additional units or semesters in order to qualify for the baccalaureate degree if the request were not approved.

EFFECTIVE: Fall 2009