Faculty Advisory Committee on Technology (FACT)
California State University, Long Beach Policy Statement 22-25
October, 26 2022
Faculty Advisory Committee on Technology (FACT) Charge
This policy statement was approved by the Academic Senate on 10/13/2022 and approved by the President on 10/14/2022.
The purpose of the Faculty Advisory Committee on Technology (FACT) is to advise University units on faculty and student issues related to academic technology. This might include planning, development, implementation, and application of technology across campus by units such as Academic Technology Services (ATS), Division of Information Technology (DoIT), the College of Professional and Continuing Education (CPaCE), the Faculty Center, and the University Library. The FACT shall also assist in the communication and collaboration between, and among, various constituencies and communities of technology users.
The FACT reports to the Academic Senate. The FACT shall meet at least twice per semester, or more often if needed.
The charge of the FACT includes, but is not limited to:
- serving as a consultative body on academic technology at CSU Long Beach;
- making recommendations regarding Academic Senate policies on academic and information technology;
- advising the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Associate Vice President for Academic Technology Services, the Vice President and Chief Information Officer, the Dean of the University Library, the Dean of the College of Professional and Continuing Education, the Director of the Faculty Center, and the Academic Senate on faculty and student needs and interests, such as the use of technology to support teaching and learning, research, and faculty professional development;
- advocating for the effective and efficient use of resources designated for academic and information technology;
- facilitating communication among faculty, staff, students, and technology units on campus on issues related to academic and information technology.
The FACT is composed of a total of 18 members; 11 of them are voting members. Voting members shall serve staggered two-year terms with the option of reappointment. The FACT shall consist of the following eleven (11) voting members:
- Nine (9) faculty members recommended by the Nominating Committee for approval by the Academic Senate. The faculty membership shall represent the following areas:
- One (1) faculty member from each of the following colleges: University Library, Arts, Business, Education, Engineering, Health & Human Services, Natural Sciences & MathematicsTwo (2) faculty members from College of Liberal Arts Lecturer faculty are eligible to serve on the committee.
- One (1) student selected by the Associated Students to serve for one year, with the option of reappointment
- One (1) non-ATS or non-DoIT staff member elected by Staff Council
The FACT shall consist of the following seven (7) ex-officio non-voting members:
- Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs (or designee)
- Associate Vice President for Academic Technology Services (or designee)
- Vice President and Chief Information Officer (or designee)
- Dean of the University Library (or designee)
- Dean of the College of Professional and Continuing Education (or designee)
- Director of Faculty Center (or designee)
- Director of Accessible Instructional Materials (AIM) Center (or designee)
Effective Fall 2023