CSULB defines Student Success as:
New and current students are presented with an intellectually rigorous education in an environment of student-centered learning. CSULB faculty and staff are deeply engaged with promoting student success and expanding opportunities for all students, native or transfer, degree or non-degree. CSULB facilitates success through support initiatives that contribute to student wellness—physical, social, and psychological— and potential to fulfill life goals.
CSULB students and alumni are successful when they lead personal, civic, and professional lives they consider meaningful. They pursue their goals with confidence, persistence, and independence and contribute in positive ways to their communities and the public good.
Successful students articulate their own goals and achieve them by demonstrating:
- knowledge and competence in their chosen disciplines and across multiple areas of human experience;
- skills such as critical and creative thinking, written and oral communication, quantitative reasoning, and teamwork; as well as;
- values that promote diversity, curiosity, social justice, global citizenship, community engagement, and life-long learning.
Successful students graduate from CSULB with an intellectually rigorous education, in a time appropriate to their goals and learning, and well prepared for their future as responsible citizens.
Institutional Learning Outcomes highlight the knowledge, skills, and abilities all students are expected to have upon graduating from CSULB.
Graduates will be:
- Well-prepared with communication, numeracy and critical thinking skills to successfully join the workforce of California and the world or to pursue advanced study;
- Critically and ethically engaged in global and local issues;
- Knowledgeable and respectful of the diversity of individuals, groups, and cultures;
- Accomplished at integrating the skills of a liberal education with disciplinary or professional competency;
- Skilled in collaborative problem-solving, research, and creative activity.