College Assistance Migrant Program

The College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP) assists students who are migratory or seasonal farmworkers (or children of such workers) enrolled in their first year of undergraduate studies at CSULB. CAMP services include outreach to eligible individuals, academic advising, tutoring, skills workshops, financial aid stipends, and health services to eligible students during their first year of college.

Eligibility Requirements

Students may be eligible to participate in the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP) by meeting the following criteria:

  1. Have a migrant/seasonal farmworking background by meeting ONE of the following:
    • Student is a current or former participant of the Migrant Education Program (MEP)
    • Student, parent(s), or immediate family members (living in the same household or have claimed you as a dependent) have spent a minimum of 75 days in the past 24 months in migrant or seasonal farmwork*
    • Participated in the National Farmworker Jobs Program (NFJP)
  2. Student must be a U.S. citizenship or legal permanent resident
  3. Must be enrolled or admitted for enrollment at CSULB as a first-time, full-time freshman

*CAMP defines a migrant and seasonal farmworkers as:
Migrant farmworker: A farmworker whose employment required travel, which kept the farmworker from returning to a permanent home within the same day.
Seasonal farmworker: A person who was employed in farmwork on a temporary or seasonal, not year-round, basis.
Employment may include any activity directly related to the production of crops, dairy products, poultry, or keeping, grazing, feeding or selling of livestock. Production of bulbs, flower seeds, vegetables, plants or vines. Cultivation or harvesting of trees, sod farms, nurseries, orchards, mushroom cellars, & cranberry bogs. Fish farms. Any agricultural activity, performed for either wages or personal subsistence on a farm, ranch, packing, or similar establishment.

Questions about your eligibility? Contact CAMP at

How to Apply to CAMP

Students who wish to apply for the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP):

  1. Apply for CSULB online via calstateapply
  2. Submit a CAMP application, which must include:
    • Proof of eligibility i.e. COE, letter from employer
    • Unofficial high school transcript

CAMP Application

Services Provided

  • Presentations and tours to potential students and parents
  • Assistance with CSU admissions application
  • FAFSA application assistance
  • CAMP grant
  • Academic advisement and assistance with course selection
  • Tutoring
  • Scholarship and internship information
  • Social events and cultural programs
  • Student leadership conferences
  • Computer lab access and free printing
  • Laptop and calculator loan program
  • Information and assessment on careers and majors
  • In-depth academic guidance on the 4-5 year CSULB academic plan
  • Referrals to academic support services and programs after the first academic year