IIE Media and Press
Check out Press and Articles about programming offered by CSULB's Institute for Innovation & Entrepreneurship.
November 16, 2022: DLBA Press Release- "Grant winners also gain access to valuable technical assistance and coaching from the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at California State University, Long Beach, and are eligible to receive business development coaching from the Fuller Management Corporation..."
October 3, 2022: Long Beach Business Journal- "Not only will up to five recipients receive a portion of $10,000 funded by Farmers & Merchants Bank, but recipients will also participate in a free workshop training provided by California State University Long Beach’s Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship."
September 7, 2022: Barbados Today- "Dr Ebony A. Utley, Professor of Communication Studies and an Associate Director for the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, who came to Barbados through the programme in 2021..."
August 30, 2022: Long Beach Business Journal- "The [institute] is a key resource for students and academics interested in founding their own businesses, and we are pleased to support their expanding efforts."
July 05, 2022: dot.la- "The organization's partnership with CSULB enables it to help founders move from idea stage to execution at the institute, and then advance to business growth via the accelerator."
- May 9, 2022: Long Beach Business Journal- "From apps to turbine blades, entrepreneurs from CSULB pitch ideas at startup contest."
- April 25, 2022: CSULB News- "From an original field of 22 student teams and a semester of competition, four finalists emerged for the final event. Campus leaders, local entrepreneurs, judges, and student teams convened at The Pointe in the Walter Pyramid for the event’s in-person return."
- April 25, 2022: Long Beach Business Journal- "One strong business plan coming out of Cal State Long Beach has taken a major step toward realization."
- April 25, 2022: Wallet Hub- "Choosing a city to develop your idea may be different than the best place to launch your startup."
- April 20, 2022: BUSINESS WIRE- "International investment firm Sunstone Management partnered with California State University Long Beach (CSULB) Institute for Innovation & Entrepreneurship to sponsor the university’s 12th annual campus-wide business plan competition."
- 2022: Speaker Post- "I invite guest speakers to show my students people who look like them who have achieved."
- Feb, 27, 2022: Political Hope Podcast Spotify | Political Hope Podcast Apple - "360 degree Entrepreneurship with Dr. Ebony Utley"
- October 26, 2021: Long Beach Post- "In those conversations, we rarely talk about discriminatory practices in technology. To make sure tech is not overlooked, the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, in conjunction with Cal State Long Beach, is hosting a free online symposium called Behind the Screens: Discriminatory Algorithms on Wednesday, Oct. 27."
- September 22, 2021: WalletHub- "Opening any new business has risks. An entrepreneur must understand their market and the market potential. Some markets are very saturated and would be difficult for a new business to launch..."
- August 27, 2021: Press-Telegram "Five business owners will share $10,000 in grants, financed by the Farmers & Merchants Bank. Grant winners also receive technical assistance and coaching from Cal State Long Beach’s Institute for Innovation & Entrepreneurship, with added help from the Fuller Management Corporation."
- August 24, 2021: Long Beach Post- "Opinion: The Long Beach entrepreneurship ecosystem by Ebony A. Utley, Ph.D."
- April 20, 2021: WalletHub- "The pandemic has affected small business owners in ways that very few could have anticipated. To provide more insight, WalletHub turned to a panel of experts."
- April 8, 2021: Business Wire- "The 11th annual Sunstone Innovation Challenge announced the 2021 winners after its final pitch presentations Wednesday, April 7 over livestream."
- March 17, 2021: Daily Forty-Niner- "CSULB’s new program teaches aspiring students and local entrepreneurs social justice in business..."
- February 17, 2021: Long Beach Business Journal- "With the help of Wade Martin and the rest of the team at the CSULB Institute for Innovation & Entrepreneurship, the two Long Beach grads were able to narrow down their vision and get started on their project..."
- February 16, 2021: Business Wire- "The mission of the CSULB Institute for Innovation & Entrepreneurship (IIE) is to provide programming and guidance for innovators and entrepreneurs that leads to success."
- Our news cycle has been understandably slow in 2020 due to the world's more pressing health concerns. When we find our new normal, we will continue to post updates here.
- January 20, 2020: Closed Loop: Pushing The Recycling Boundaries, Michael Gougis, Long Beach Business Journal
- July 7, 2020: Empowering the Innovators
- November 15, 2019: Long Beach Accelerator Hosts Reception Welcoming Entrepreneurs, Investors and Partners, BusinessWire
- November 14, 2019: Relationships in the new era: avoiding false advertising, Saad Kazi, Daily49er
- November 5, 2019: Campus Connection - Show 6 featuring the 2019 Climathon, Joel Ruditsky, CSULB Dept. of Journalism & PR
- November 4, 2019: Growing Long Beach: Climathon Tackles Economic, Climate Solutions For Global Issues, Denny Cristales, Long Beach Business Journal
- October 31, 2019: Sunstone Management and CSULB Announce Sunstone Innovation Challenge
- October 27, 2019: Climathon 2019 returns to CSULB challenging food scarcity, waste and sourcing, Paris Barraza, Daily49er
- October 23, 2019: Cal State Long Beach Tackles Food Insecurity at Climathon, Gary Metzker, Grunion Gazette
- September 17, 2019: Sunstone Management and City of Long Beach Host Top Innovators with SoCalBio, Buinesswire
- August 27, 2019: Long Beach kicks off new startup accelerator, Hayley Munguia, Long Beach Press Telegram
- July 18, 2019: INSIDE LONG BEACH STATE: Innovation And Change, Dr. Jane Close Conoley, The Grunion
- July 1, 2019: Entrepreneurship: Alive and Well in America, Abella Carroll, WestCoast Magazines
- May 24, 2019: City, Investment Company, University Partner On Startup Accelerator, Theo Douglas, Techwire
- May 6, 2019: Growing Long Beach: Workshop Series Teaches Locals How To Build Their Businesses, Pierce Nahigyan, Long Beach Business Journal
- May 6, 2019: New Startup Accelerator Plans To Bring Tech Boom To Long Beach, Alena Maschke, Long Beach Business Journal
- April 23, 2019: Campus Connection - Show 9 featuring the 2019 Innovation Challenge, Ty Spence, CSULB Dept. of Journalism & PR
- April 18, 2019: Announcing the Long Beach Accelerator
- April 18, 2019: Long Beach State, city aims to help entrepreneurs, Andrew Edwards, CSULB
- April 18, 2019: Long Beach and CSULB will launch initiative to help entrepreneurs develop start-ups, Hayley Munguia, Press Telegram
- April 18, 2019: Cal State Long Beach announces fellowship, tech incubator partnerships at economic forum, Jason Ruiz, Long Beach Post
- April 18, 2019: Long Beach Public-Private Partnership Announces City's First Startup Accelerator, Yahoo Finance
- April 17, 2019: Campus Connection - Show 8 featuring the 2019 Innovation Challenge, Leslie Veliz, CSULB Dept. of Journalism & PR
- April 17, 2019: Cold Brew Delivered to Your Dorm? A Cal State Long Beach Startup Hopes to Do Just That, Emily Rasmussen, Long Beach Press-Telegram
- April 12, 2019: Students brew a new idea for a membership company, Andrew Edwards, CSULB
- April 10, 2019: Innovative Students Pitch Big Ideas For $50,000 Prize, Ashleigh Ruhl, Grunion Gazette
- March 11, 2019: Kiva Long Beach Gives a Boost to Fitness Start-Up Gravity Ball Health Systems, Samantha Mehlinger, Long Beach Business Journal
- March 4, 2019: Innovations Spark Conversation at Health and Tech Day, Janis Carr, CSULB
- October 15, 2018: Event Discusses Dangers, Benefits Of Technology During Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Stephanie Stutzman, Grunion Gazette
- October 15, 2018: A safe space for domestic violence survivors and allies, Karla Lopez, Daily 49er
- August 11, 2018: From college to CEO: how CSULB is kickstarting student startups, Valerie Osier, Long Beach Post
- August 2, 2018: Biz Brief: Long Beach To Use $100,000 Grant For Job Growth Programs
- June 15, 2018: Biz Brief: Long Beach Organizations Promoting Business Program In Competition For Grant
- June 1, 2018: Long Beach partners with nonprofits for small business crowdfunding campaign, Louis Casiano, Orange County Register
- April 25, 2018: CSULB Regional Economic Forum
- March 16, 2018: 2018's Best & Worst Small Cities to Start a Business, Adam McCann, Wallehub.com
- March 7, 2018: Don Your Headset Long Beach State Celebrates Virtual Reality with Day of Technology, Emily Thornton, Grunion Gazette
- Februrary 26, 2018: New Innovation Institute Hopes to Build Up Economic Entrepreneurial Foundation, Brandon Richardson, Long Beach Business Journal