You are here
Bachelor of Arts in Dance, Option in Dance Science
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Dance, Option in Dance Science
The BA in Dance, Option in Dance Science, offers a course of study combining dance with specific kinesiology and science courses for students interested in teaching careers in dance, dance medicine, careers in dance fitness, or graduate education in the areas of dance science or related dance studies. Students interested in the BA in Dance, Option in Dance Science should meet with Program Coordinator Brooke Winder no later than the start of their 2nd year (earlier for transfer students). Additionally, students must pass BIOL 207 , BIOL 208 , and DANC 260 with a minimum GPA of 2.25 to satisfy the major specific declaration requirements. Additionally, students must pass BIOL 207 , BIOL 208 , and DANC 260 with a minimum GPA of 2.25 to satisfy the major specific declaration requirements before submitting a Change of Major form to Chair Betsy Cooper.
For up to date degree requrments, visit the CSULB Catalog.
Student Learning Outcomes for BA in Dance, option in Dance Science
- Majors will perform a qualitative anatomical analysis of standing and dynamic alignment and key dance vocabulary, as well as provide exercises and cues for their improvement.
- Majors will execute and cue Pilates repertoire designed to enhance dance performance, movement coordination and physical conditioning.
- Majors will employ key anatomical and biomechanical principles for preventing dance injuries and promoting optimal technique when training as dancers or teaching dance technique.
- Majors will practice theoretical and practical scientific concepts of movement to help prepare them for pursuing further degrees or certifications in dance science or related fields.
- Majors will demonstrate competency in modern dance, ballet, jazz, and hip hop, enabling them to pursue careers in dance and dance-related fields, health and fitness professions, and graduate study in dance science or related fields.
- Majors will describe the historical, socio-cultural, and scientific dimensions of dance.
- Majors will analyze and describe the craft and aesthetic qualities of dance orally, practically, and in writing.
- Majors will practice basic scientific principles of wellness and conditioning for the promotion of lifelong health in dance.