Frequently Asked Questions About Housing Finances
Residents may choose to pay in full by sending a check to the Cashier's Office on or before Wednesday July 28, 2021. The amount owed depends on which room type and meal plan were chosen. More information can be found on the Housing Rates page.
The calculation to determine the amount is as follows:
Room Type Cost + Meal Plan Cost + $60 Social Fee - the License Service Fee amount paid.
Installments Pay Plan
Residents may choose to pay their room and meal in installments, due on the first of each of the following months: September, October, November, December, February, March, April, and May.
A one-time $40 installment fee will be added to the total cost.
Note: Financial aid cannot be used for the installment, social, or service fee. The university applies financial aid first to registration fees, second to housing payments, and third to any other outstanding payments. Due to financial aid disbursements, residents are required to select the installment payment plan if using any financial aid to pay for housing.
The cost will depend on which room type option you are assigned and the meal plan you select. The rates for each room type and meal plan can be found on the Housing Rates section of the Housing Website. All residents are required to have a meal plan while living in University Housing.
Additional Fees: All residents are required to pay an additional $60 social fee and, if on a payment plan, a $40 installment fee.
The License Service Fee is required to complete the application process. It will be deducted from the first month payment. The service fee is non-refundable.
Yes; however, financial aid cannot be used for the License Service Fee. The university applies your aid first to registration fees, second to housing payments, and third to any other outstanding payments that may be due. You are required to select the installment payment plan if you are receiving aid to pay for housing.
Yes; however, loans cannot be used for the License Service Fee. The University applies your loans first to registration fees, second to Housing payments, and third to any other outstanding payments that may be due.
Very few students receive enough aid to cover all expenses. This is always a case by case situation, you should expect the need to cover some expenses out of pocket.
Any Financial Aid received will first go towards your tuition. Remaining funds will go towards Housing. If you're aid is not enough, you will be financially responsible for the remaining balance. To see how much and when your balance is due, it's suggested you view your MyCSULB account a week prior to the start of classes each semester.
About a month prior to each semester starting, the Housing charges will be placed in the students records. You can check for these charges through your student center in MyCSULB.
To contest a charge, you would need to submit in writing an appeal. To do an appeal please follow the steps noted below:
Requirements to submit an appeal
- Appeals may be mailed, e-mailed or delivered to the CSULB Housing and Residential Life Office.
- The appeal must be submitted in writing by the student who was charged. Please include a full description of the charges and the reason(s) for the dispute of the charges along with any supporting documentation.
- The written appeal and complete supporting documentation are due before the request will be submitted to the Appeals Committee.
- Students will receive written notification of the Committee's decision via email. Please include an e-mail address with the appeal.
- The decision of the Appeals Committee is final.
We encourage students to pay online, but if you have to pay by check, please mail payments with payment card to the address below:
CSULB Cashiering BH155
1250 Bellflower Blvd
Long Beach, CA 90840-0103
** Please make sure to include your student name & campus ID# on the memo line of the check.**
Yes, there are additional one-time fees, which are listed below:
- Social Fee - $60 added to the first month's payment, but covered by the service fee
- Installment Fee - $40, if student chooses to do monthly payments for housing charges
- Breaks - Additional fee apply if a student wants to stay during break periods. Rates are determined generally one month before the break.
We have representatives in our department who can help review your account with you. We can only talk with the student whose name is on the account.