Reasons to Apply
- Do you want to pursue a Ph.D but don’t know how to get there? McNair provides compressive graduate school advising!
- Receive faculty mentoring.
- Meet goal-oriented students with similar backgrounds.
- Get paid to learn! McNair provides a summer research stipend of $2800.
- McNair provides support in preparing for graduate school applications.
- Become a part of the the Ronald E. McNair Post-baccalaureate Achievement Program family! The McNair program is a renowned national program with over 40 years of history.
- Consider applying to the McNair Scholars Program at CSULB. If you have questions or want to learn more, please contact McNair@csulb.edu or submit McNair Interest form. To be considered for the TRiO McNair Scholars Program at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB), you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- A U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Currently enrolled at CSULB as an undergraduate with at least 3.00 cum GPA.
- Completed at least 60 units (transfer units included) by end of the current academic year. Please note, that you must have at least 2 semesters or more left before graduation (Spring, Summer and Fall).
- Both low-income based on federal income guidelines AND first generation status (parent/guardian did not earn a 4-year college degree); OR
- Member of an underrepresented minority group (e.g. Black/African American - non-Hispanic; Hispanic/Latino, American Indian/Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander)
- Intention to pursue and complete a Ph.D.
- Attend coaching sessions 2x semester or more
- Attend research/scholarly activities
- Engage in a second research opportunity
- Meet with Faculty mentor 2x semester
- Attend/present at 2+ research symposiums and conferences.
- Create a Graduate School Application Timeline
- Apply to 7 graduate programs: 1 must be out of state, 1 must be a PhD program
- Visit at least 2 graduate schools (virtually or in person)
- Successfully complete research courses as required by major
- Apply for scholarships, fellowships, grant aid, etc.
- Complete the FAFSA
- The McNair application opens mid-October-January (specific dates may vary).
- For questions or concerns about the application, please contact: McNair@csulb.edu