There are many steps involved in earning a graduate degree, from enrollment to the completion of a culminating experience. The outline below lists the important milestones graduate students must complete to earn their degree.
Enrollment/Registering for Classes
- The Degree Planner helps students map their entire academic path to graduation. This online tool can be accessed through MyCSULB via Single Sign-on.
- Students can register for courses through MyCSULB. Course descriptions can be found in the University Catalog. The Schedule of Classes lists course offerings by term.
Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR)
Advancement to Candidacy
- Advancement to candidacy signifies approval of a plan of study by the student's academic department and college.
- Dissertations are usually the culminating activity for doctoral programs.
- Theses, projects, and/or comprehensive exams are usually the culminating activity for master’s degree programs. Consult with the graduate advisor for details.
- Thesis and Dissertation Office provides formatting guidelines and offers pre-submission consultations for master's projects and theses and doctoral dissertations. There are submission deadlines for each term.