Take the Sunstone Innovation Challenge
The Sunstone Innovation Challenge at CSULB is an annual campus-wide business plan competition. We are looking for diverse teams to develop, promote and launch sustainable, entrepreneurial and innovative business ideas through the presentation of a well-crafted business plan that address the core concepts of Desirability, Viability, and Feasibility. The winning team receives support for their business, including $15,000 in seed funding, and space, marketing, legal and accounting services totaling up to $35,000.
Interested in competing in the Innovation Challenge? Email us at Innovate@csulb.edu
Information 2021 Meetings
Feb. 15: Business Plan Due (First round)
March 1: Semifinalists Announced
March 11: Semifinalist Pitch Event
March 15: Revised Business Plans Due
March 26: Finalists Announced
April 8: Finalist Pitches
Apostle Incubator 2021 Meetings
Jan 26 – "Prototyping & Technology"
Feb 23 – "Sharing Ownership"
Mar 2 – "Social & Digital Marketing"
Mar 9 – "Branding"
Mar 16 – "Pitching your Business"
Mar 23 – "Intellectual Property Protection"
Apr 6 – "eCommerce Strategies"
Apr 13 – "Legal Structures"
Apr 20 – "PitchFest Competition"
Apr 27 – "LB Opportunities & Ecosystem Mixer"
May 4 – "Creating an Inclusive Culture"
May 11 – "Coaching & Wellness Revisited"
Congratulations to the Winning Teams
Two startups, PeriDeals (pictured, right) and White Rabbit, beat out over 40 teams to land first and second place in the 2020 Sunstone Innovation Challenge. Read about other winning teams.
In the News
- Sunstone Innovation Challenge Awards $25,000 to Two Startups
- Sunstone Management and CSULB Announce Sunstone Innovation Challenge
- This app eases the vegan and vegetarian lifestyle—and it was built solely for Long Beach
- Cold brew delivered to your dorm? A Cal State Long Beach startup hopes to do just that
- Video: CSULB Campus Connection, story on the 2019 Innovation Challenge.
- Video: CSULB Campus Connection, featuring the 2019 Innovation Challenge.
- Students Brew a New Idea for a Membership Company
- Innovative Students Pitch Big Ideas For $50,000 Prize
- Four Finalist Teams Face Off at 2019 Innovation Challenge Pitch Competition
- From College to CEO: How CSULB is Kickstarting Student Startups
- Cal State Long Beach Students Launch Innovative Product