The BUILD (Building Infrastructure Leading to Diversity) Initiative is being undertaken to strengthen student training and education aimed at enhancing preparation for doctoral studies and success in health-related research careers among underrepresented and underserved students. An essential component of this initiative is to advance faculty and campus research competitiveness and capacity. BUILD faculty with external funding is a critical foundation for delivering excellent research training that prepares students to be successful in highly competitive doctoral programs and health-related research careers. Towards this end, BUILD is developing the EXTERNAL GRANT REVIEW PROGRAM to provide faculty with feedback before submission of an external grant application to NIH or NSF from an experienced faculty at one of our R1 partners (UCI or USC).
Program Requirements and Features:
- The External Grant Review Program is only open to BUILD faculty mentors.
- Faculty must submit a full draft of their proposal 2 months in advance of the grant submission deadline.
- Resubmission proposals must also include a reply to the critiques in order to be considered.
- Reviewers will consider the following core review criteria: Significance, Investigator, Innovation, Approach, and Environment, and provide summary statements and an overall score following NIH guidelines (NIH Review Criteria)(NIH Scoring Summary Statements). For NSF proposals, reviewers will evaluate the intellectual merit and broader impacts following NSF guidelines (NSF Proposal Processing & Review).
- Proof of grant proposal submission will be required.
Download the Application provided below and submit the completed application to BUILD.IDC@csulb.edu. Please submit a Confidential Personal Data Form and any other supporting documentation.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until funding runs out.