General Education Evaluation Committee (GEEC)
California State University, Long Beach Policy Statement 22-07
April 5, 2022
GENERAL EDUCATION EVALUATION COMMITTEE (GEEC) CHARGE
(The policy was recommended by the Academic Senate on March 10, 2022 and approved by the President on March 15, 2022.)
The General Education Evaluation Committee (GEEC) shall serve as the primary body on matters relating to the assessment, evaluation, and program review of the General Education (GE) Program. The GEEC is subordinate to the Institutional and Program Assessment Committee (IPAC), and, as such, all policies and recommendations by the GEEC shall be presented to IPAC for approval, except for those matters specifically delegated to the Committee itself. Moreover, the GEEC shall notify the General Education Governing Committee (GEGC) of all its recommendations, as described in the Policy on General Education (PS 21-09).
The General Education Evaluation Committee (GEEC) shall:
- Develop, review and update the University’s GE assessment plan;
- Assess the university’s entire GE program;
- Develop, review and update the University’s GE re-certification plan, as per Section 8.1.2 of the Policy on General Education (PS 21-09);
- Periodically review courses previously approved for GE credit (re-certification), as per Section 8.1.2 of the Policy on General Education (PS 21-09);
- Advise the Academic Senate about campus policies related to the assessment of the GE program.
Membership of the GEEC shall consist of:
- Two tenure/tenure track or lecturer faculty members from each college except Liberal Arts
- Four tenure/tenure track or lecturer faculty members from the College of Liberal Arts
- One Library faculty members from the University Library
- The Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs (or designee)
- The Director of Institutional Research & Analytics (or designee)
- The Coordinator of Program Review & Assessment
- The Director of Institutional Assessment
- The General Education Coordinator
- One (1) member from the Academic Senate elected by the Academic Senate, who should also be an elected member of the Council if possible; if an individual
with dual membership is not available, the Senator becomes a non-voting member
- The Director of the University Center for Undergraduate Advising (or designee)
- Two (2) student members, selected by the Associated Students, Inc., who shall serve for a period of one year
- One member of the GEGC, selected by the GEGC, who should also be a member of the GEEC if possible; if an individual with dual membership is not available, the Committee member becomes a non-voting member of the GEEC.
Unless otherwise noted, members shall serve staggered, three-year terms, to ensure continuity. Members may serve consecutive terms. Members shall be chosen in the spring semester before the beginning of the following academic year.
Only members whose appointments are primarily as faculty have voting privileges. Administrators and students are non-voting members.
Near the end of the spring semester, the GEEC shall elect for the following year a Chair, Vice Chair, and Secretary from among its voting members.
The chair shall be responsible for planning and scheduling of meetings, presiding over meetings, agenda setting, and transmittal of items to other committees, and to councils (to PARC/IPAC, for example), as appropriate. In addition, the Chair shall write an annual report detailing the actions of the committee to the Chairs of PARC/IPAC and GEGC, due at the end of the Spring Semester.
The Vice Chair shall serve as Chair in the absence of the elected Chair. The Secretary shall keep minutes of the meetings.
The GEEC shall establish a Steering Committee composed of the elected officers of the Committee, the General Education Coordinator, and the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs (or designee).
The Steering Committee may create and appoint members to such subcommittees and ad hoc committees it deems necessary to fulfill its charge, including assessment and re- certification subcommittees, subject to provisions of the policy on GE (and campus- specific Graduation Requirement, if applicable) program review, assessment, and re- certification.