The mission of the Black Faculty & Staff (BFAS) Association is to build a community amongst Black professionals at California State University, Long Beach that cultivates a supportive atmosphere, provides an opportunity to connect, and contributes to student success by building a foundation of resources for the community and support for Black students at the Beach.
Hello BFAS Community,
I would like to formally introduce myself as the current President of the Black Faculty & Staff Association. With your support and the leadership of the Executive Board, we introduce our theme for 2020-2021 of Unity (community building) and Accountability (social justice).
We have a lot to accomplish and I believe we have the commitment of our members to help us in our mission and objectives.
Our mission is to build a strong community of Black faculty, staff, and students where we provide opportunities to connect, contribute, and serve.
It is our hope to:
- Build a community where Black faculty, staff and students can share their successes and stresses, (cultivate a supportive atmosphere).
- Recognize and promote the advancement of current and future Black faculty & staff on our campus through advocacy, support, networking opportunities, and community engagement.
- Collaborate with other university departments to ensure that diverse applicants are recruited, nurtured, developed and retained as important members of CSULB and the surrounding community.
- Contribute to student success by building a foundation of resources for the community.
- Work with faculty and staff organizations in supporting Black Faculty and Leadership Representation
We look forward to establishing our presence as a support to all Black faculty, staff, and students across the campus. We hope you can join us in this charge. As a (re)newed organization, we welcome your energy and insights and invite you to join our executive board or subcommittee to share any thoughts and concepts which will move our goals forward. If you are unable to join a committee, please consider attending our programming and social events as well as volunteering to serve our community.#BlackBeachMatters
Shelly-Ann Collins Rawle, PhD, NCC, CAODTS| Psychologist
BFAS President 2020-2021