Students who are approaching the end of their graduate studies must complete these final steps to earn their degree.
Advancement to Candidacy
- Advancement to candidacy signifies approval of a plan of study by the student's academic department and college.
Obtaining a Graduate Degree
- The Graduation Checklist outlines the steps and requirements needed for master's and doctoral degrees. Graduate students should apply to graduate online during the application window for the term they intend to complete their program. Students must have achieved candidacy before applying to graduate.
- Theses, projects, and comprehensive exams are usually the culminating experience for master’s degree programs. In programs with more than one option, students should speak with their graduate advisor to make a decision. Dissertations are usually the culminating experience of doctoral programs.
- Students must apply to graduate online via MyCSULB. Applying for graduation is the only way to officially graduate from CSULB. Participating in a college commencement ceremony does not mean a degree or certificate will be granted.
- Students must register to participate in commencement.
- Consult your college's website for additional registration and ceremony details.
- Programs may have a private hooding ceremony; consult Graduate Advisor for details.