Introducing the CSULB Policy on Service Learning
The Cal State Long Beach Policy on Service Learning, Policy Number 19-13, was passed by the Academic Senate and became effective on November 5, 2019. "This policy establishes guidance on Service Learning (SL) for the entire campus. It addresses the approval process and the role of the Center for Community Engagement (CCE). This policy does not apply to teacher preparation placements or clinical placements in professional programs." The policy sets forth the minimum requirements for a course to be certified as a service learning course. All existing and future service learning courses will be reviewed by the Center for Community Engagement and should reflect the definition of service learning and incorporate the requirements as described within the policy in order to receive certification. For the full text of the policy, please go to the CSULB Policy on Service Learning (19-13).
Service Learning Curriculum Design
Application Deadline: TBA
Are you a tenured/tenure-track faculty or a full time lecturer interested in incorporating Service Learning into one of your courses? We are accepting applications for upcoming Service Learning Curriculum Design workshop series. You should apply if you:
- Want to incorporate Service Learning into an existing or new course that you will be teaching in the following Academic Year;
- Have a general idea of how Service Learning would fit within your course;
- Have identified potential community partner sites or types of sites appropriate for the course;
- Have the support of your chair to teach the course in the future; and
- Are able to attend all four curriculum workshops and complete workshop homework.
Curriculum Development Funds of up to $1,000 will be made available to faculty who complete a successful redesign of their course syllabus and teach the Service Learning course in the following Academic Year with the intention to teach the Service Learning course in future semesters. Completed courses will be reviewed for compliance with the CSULB Policy on Service Learning (#19-13).
How to Apply:
- Obtain a letter of support from your department chair that can be uploaded with the online application
- Have a recent syllabus or SCO that can be uploaded with the online application (this is optional)
- Go to the SL Curriculum Design Series Application.