Upward Bound Program
Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families, high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree, and low-income, first-generation students who are preparing to enter postsecondary education and demonstrate academic need. Our services provide fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance as well as opportunities for participants to succeed in pre-college performance and ultimately in higher education pursuits.
Upward Bound Recruitment
- Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families, high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree, and who have demonstrated academic need.
- View the Federal Guidelines for student eligibility for Upward Bound programs.
Schools Open for Recruitment
Students who attend one of the following high schools may be eligible to participate in the Upward Bound program.
- Compton Unified School District
- Centennial High School
- Compton High School
- Dominguez High School
- Long Beach Unified School District
- Cabrillo High School
- Jordan High School
- Los Angeles Unified School District
- Gardena High School
- Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District
- John Glenn High School
- Paramount Unified School District
- Paramount High School
The mission of Upward Bound is to generate in program participants who are socially and economically underrepresented in higher education the skills and motivation necessary to complete a program of secondary education and to enter and succeed in a program of postsecondary education. The program will achieve its mission by:
- Developing and implementing a range of services to enhance targeted areas high school students' aspirations and preparation for academic success
- Challenging students to develop analytical thinking skills to instill the importance and value of education through a rigorous academic program
- Encouraging students to seek learning for enjoyment and information
- Expanding students intellectual, cultural, and social growth
- Contributing to students' development of a positive self-image
- Familiarizing students with college selection, admission requirements, and financial aid process
- Assisting students with career exploration and provide an engaging opportunity to help participants achieve their career goals
- Improving financial and economic literacy of participants and student's parents