Student Affairs Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
In July 2020, Vice President of Student Affairs, Dr. Beth Lesen appointed the inaugural Student Affairs Equity & Diversity Task Force in response to the continued acts of hate, violence, racism, and systemic oppression across the nation towards the Black community. As leaders in higher education, our division recognizes our role and responsibility in dismantling structures that have historically marginalized and targeted many groups including, but certainly not limited to, those identifying as Black/Pan-African, Asian, Pacific Islander, LatinX, Native American/American Indian, Jewish, Muslim, LGBTQIA+, individuals with disabilities, undocumented, and intersecting identities. The establishment of this task force draws on the expertise within our division and holds us accountable to remain steadfast in our support of students and one another.
The mission of the DSA Equity & Inclusion Task Force is to:
- Create and strengthen a sense of community across the divisional units
- Support the collective work of the division, units, and individuals in the identification and implementation of initiatives focused on diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI)
- Serve as the formal body appointed by the Vice President and Student Affairs Leadership Team to provide recommendations annually and strengthen unit DEI initiatives
- Connect the division to the PECC and stay updated on university actions and partnership opportunities
- Conducted Departmental/Program Equity Audits
- From February 2021 – September 2021, the task force conducted 20 individual department equity audits identifying emerging, developing, and transforming practices for each area.
- Compiled Best Practices for Improvement
- The task force completed a repository for Student Affairs staff of best practices and exemplars for departments to utilize in their ongoing equity efforts.
- Create Opportunities for Anti-Racist Professional Development
- In partnership with faculty champions, the task force launched the Anti-Blackness and Anti-Racism Series throughout the 2020-2021 year to engage professional staff in supporting Black, Native American, LatinX, Asian American, and Pacific Islander students.
Goal A: Create and Maintain a Division Equity Task Force
|Goal A: Create and Maintain a Division Equity Task Force||YEAR 2021-2022||YEAR 2022-2023|
|1. Establish a process for membership in the task force including the timeline, expected length of service, and professional development funds||Completed Fall 2021|
|2. Define the role and responsibilities of members in the task force including service on action teams||Completed Fall 2021|
|3. Establish intentional time during meetings for the acknowledgement of current affairs related to social injustices and racial inequality||Ongoing|
Goal B: Identify and Implement Initiatives that Center and Advance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for the Division of Student Affairs
|Goal B: Identify and Implement Initiatives that Center and Advance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for the Division of Student Affairs||YEAR 2021-2022||YEAR 2022-2023|
|1. Complete a baseline assessment of Department DEI practices||Completed Spring 2021|
|2. Provide recommendations based on audit feedback to strengthen DEI Initiatives||Completed Fall 2021|
|3. Provide audit results to department managers||Completed Fall 2021||Completed Fall 2021|
|4. Create a score card of annual assessment of DEI department recommendation||Spring 2022 (February- March 2022)||Fall 2022|
|5. Create Best Practices Action Team responsible for creating and maintaining a databank of researched, evidence based, and well documented best practices to DEI practices to departments||In Progress - Fall 2021
Completion to be by Spring 2022 (March 2022)
|6. Strengthen communication by partnering with PECC and utilizing the Division Calendar||In Progress - Fall 2021|
|7. Compile a list of expert speakers on/off campus||In progress est. completion Spring 2022|
|8. Designate department(s) to oversee the anti-racist series||Completed OMA designated - Fall 2021|
|9. Review and recommend Equity Advocate Training Module||In Progress - Fall 2021
Est completion Spring 2022
Goal C: Ensure accountability and transparency for the division to move into a more just and equitable division focused on anti-racist practices.
|Goal C: Ensure accountability and transparency for the division to move into a more just and equitable division focused on anti-racist practices.||YEAR 2021-2022||YEAR 2022-2023|
|1. Schedule bi-semester meetings with divisional leadership to monitor and measure progress||In Progress- meetings need to be scheduled|
|2. Advocate for timeline division response to anti-blackness and other DEI related challenges across campus||Ongoing||Recommendations by Summer 2022|
|3. Create a list of suggestions on ways the division can make our diverse group feel appropriately supported and check-in with each other. What does cultivating this among our staff mean for our division and what would it look like?||Pending|