The Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholars Program provides funding to enable current CSU students to explore whether graduate school is right for them and to prepare those who are certain they want to pursue a PhD program in their chosen field of study.
Sally Casanova Scholar recipients receive a $3,000 stipend plus a funded summer research experience for Scholars who are not enrolled in a PhD program by fall 2022.
- Scholars may apply the $3,000 stipend to a number of educational and professional expenses. For example, students may visit U.S. doctoral-granting institutions and/or to attend professional meetings appropriate to the student's development. Similarly, students may use the stipend for other related activities, such as student membership in professional organizations, subscriptions to academic journals, graduate school applications and test fees, or GRE test preparation.
- Scholars complete a summer research experience at a University of California campus or other U.S. major research university, fully funded by the Pre-Doctoral Program, so that the scholar can participate in doctoral-level research prior to applying to a Ph.D. program.
Who Can Apply
- Applicants must be upper-division or master's degree students who are enrolled at a CSU institution and will be enrolled at a CSU campus for at least one semester in the academic year.
- Applicants are required to have a faculty sponsor who will be available during the academic year to help them implement a plan that will prepare them for admission to a doctoral program. The plan should be tailored to the specific needs and career objectives of the student.
- The successful applicant must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or a DACA recipient.
Meet Our Pre-Doc Scholars
Meet our current Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholars.