Application and Eligibility
- Sophomore standing or first-year transfer
- GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Plan to pursue a doctoral degree in one of the Mellon-approved fields of study (see list below)
- A completed application, two strong letters of recommendation from faculty, transcripts, writing sample, and resume/CV.
- Africana Studies
- American Indian Studies
- American Studies
- Asian and Asian American Studies
- Art History
- Chicano Latino Studies
- Comparative World Literature & Classics
- Jewish Studies
- Latin American Studies
- Music (Musicology)
- Performing Arts
- Political Science (with emphasis on political theory or political philosophy)
- Religious Studies
- Romance, German and Russian Languages and Literature
- Theater Arts (emphasis on theoretical lines of inquiry)
- Women Gender & Sexuality Studies
Application Deadline: March 8, 2023
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details about the application deadline.
Applications should be submitted via the online application portal:
View all application questions and requirements:
1. Academic Writing Sample
2. MMUF Essay (details included in link above)
3. Confidential letters of recommendation from two faculty. They must be emailed directly from the faculty member to email@example.com on or before the February 25th deadline. The email subject line must include “MMUF Recommendation” and the applicant’s full name. (Example: MMUF Recommendation, Ava Duvernay).
***Incomplete applications will not be reviewed***
Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
An interdisciplinary committee of CSULB faculty members will review student applications and conducts admissions interviews. Fellowships begin in the summer 2022. Awards are for two or one year (contingent upon adequate levels of participation).
Note: Applicants who are invited to interview MUST be available to interview at specified times.
Tentative Dates: March 20, 22, and 23, 2023
Information Sessions / Application Workshops
To assist students with their applications and to answer questions about MMUF, information sessions/application workshops will be held by the CSULB MMUF coordinators and current students.