- Advisors, People, and Office Hours
- Class Schedule and Course Description
- Undergraduate Programs
- Credential Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Incoming Freshman
- K-12 Contests
- Research, Colloquia, and Stat Consulting (SCG)
- Lindgren Math Tutoring Center
- Resources and Resource Reservation
- Scholarship and Job Seekers
MDPT (Mathematics Diagnostics Placement Tests) - Calculus Readiness Exam
What is the purpose of the MDPT?
The purpose of the MDPT is to place you into the appropriate calculus course at CSULB. You will be placed into Math 119A (Survey of Calculus) for Biology majors or Math 122 (Calculus I) for other majors. If you don’t feel you are ready for calculus, you should not take the exam but instead enroll in the prerequisite courses, Math 113 (Precalculus Algebra) and Math 111 (Precalculus Trigonometry).
What are the majors that require calculus?
Engineering, Mathematics, and Science. If you have any questions contact your major advisor.
Am I eligible to take the MDPT?
Check out Ready for GE Math.
You may take the MDPT:
- If you are not exempt.
- If you have satisfied the ELM requirement.
Who is exempt?
You are exempt from this test if you have earned a score of:
- 3 or better on the College Board AP Mathematics Examination AB (you may enroll in Math 123).
- 3 or better on the College Board AP Mathematics Examination BC (you may enroll in Math 224).
- 650 or better on the SAT Math (you may enroll in Math 122)
- 610 or better on the SAT II Level 2 Math (you may enroll in Math 122)
- 31 or better on ACT Math (you may enroll in Math 122)
How much is the registration fee?
There is no charge for the MDPT or registration, it’s FREE.
How long is the test?
You will have 90 minutes to answer 60 multiple-choice questions. A calculator is not permitted.
What is on the test?
The Calculus Readiness Exam consists of the following topics:
- Rational Expressions and their Graphs
- Exponents and Radicals
- Geometric Applications
- Linear Equations & Inequalities, Absolute Values
- Logarithmic & Exponential Equations
For practice problems covering these topics refer to the Sample Questions
How many times can I take the test?
You may only retake the MDPT once, but you must wait 6 months before retaking the test.
What are the test dates?
Fall: None scheduled
Spring: None scheduled
Summer: June 23, 2014 at 8:00am
How do I register for the MDPT?
Email your name, student ID #, phone number, major, and preferred test date to email@example.com.
You will receive an email with information regarding the time, location, what to bring, etc. Email confirmations are usually sent a week before the test. Contact Sofia Aguilera – firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
How do I get my results?
Your test results will be available at your SOAR registration. The advisors will be emailed the scores, and they will have the information on hand. The results are valid for one year.
Is parking provided?
Parking is not provided. If you are not familiar with campus, go to the visitor information center, which is a “drive-up” point of service located on Beach Drive arriving from Bellflower Blvd. They can assist you with campus maps, directions or options for single day parking.