Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT)
SPOT is an assessment instrument used in over 6,000 courses at CSULB every fall and spring semester. SPOT provides student feedback on faculty teaching behaviors and can help guide the development of course objectives. Faculty Affairs implements SPOT policies according to Academic Senate Policy PS 17-05.
Academic Technology Services provides the equipment and staff to support the distribution and collection of SPOT forms. This process takes approximately 3 months to complete:
Fall 2018 Faculty Evaluation Schedule
September 21, 2018
All early evaluation requests due seven days before needed by department will all early evaluations requests being submitted no later than September 21st. Early evaluation requests and questions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
September 28, 2018
Course selection Excel workbooks will be emailed before 5pm.
October 5, 2018
Course selection workbooks are due back to Mindy James (email@example.com) at 5 pm.
October 12, 2018
This is the absolute deadline for any changes or corrections. No modifications will be made after 5 pm on this date.
November 8, 2018
Institutional Research will distribute pre-printed Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT) forms to the department. The forms must be administered to the class indicated by the ticket number at the top of the form.
November 15, 2018
Online Evaluations will be opened and links will be emailed to all state-sponsored students in the course. Paper evaluations can start being administered in courses.
December 12, 2018
This is the last day of instruction for the Fall 2018 Semester and the last day to administer paper evaluations. Online evaluations will close at 11:59 p.m.
December 19, 2018
The department must return the completed Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT) forms to Institutional Research. Please use the carton in which the forms were sent and place the forms in alphabetical order by instructor and free from staples or other instructions. Any boxes not returned in alphabetical order will be returned to department and processed after other departments have been completed.
January 18, 2019
Institutional Research will email Irregularity Reports to the Dean’s Office and Department Chairs.
The statistical summary of SPOT will be provided to the AVP for Faculty Affairs (in secure electronic format), the Dean’s Office (on CD), and the department or program office (two hard copies). The department or program office will then provide one of the two hard copies to individual faculty members immediately.
- All classes with a C classification and six or more students shall be evaluated.
- Departments may vote to require evaluation of specified courses. If so, they shall be uniformly required of all faculty. Faculty may evaluate any of their other classes.
- Evaluation summary reports will be printed, unless courses are held online.
- Missing packages or those containing all uncompleted forms will result in a summary report indicating that no evaluations were submitted for that class.
- Student evaluations MUST be administered by NON-FACULTY during the instructor’s absence from the class.
- Evaluations MUST be administered the last three instructional weeks of class. Student evaluations may not be administered before the start of this period. They also may not be administered during finals week.
- Faculty members shall not be present during the administration of the forms and shall not handle or see the completed forms until after the statistical summary report is delivered from Academic Technology Services.
- No questions can be asked or added to the form during the administration of SPOT.