If you need to be away from work for a period of time, you may be eligible for a paid or unpaid leave of absence. The following leaves are available for faculty members.
Paid Administrative Leave due to COVID-19
If you are unable to work for reasons related to COVID-19, you may be eligible to use up to 128 hours of paid administrative leave, separate from your existing accrued leave. The paid administrative leave hours may may be used by eligible employees if the employee is unable to work, on campus or remotely, for the following purposes:
- When an employee is unable to work due to the employee's own COVID-19-related illness, or that of a family member where the employee would normally be able to use sick leave;
- When an employee is unable to work because the employee has been directed by their supervisor or healthcare provider not to come to the worksite for COVID-19-related reasons and/or it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely;
- When an employee is unable to work due to a COVID-19-related school or daycare closure and the employee is required to be at home with a child or dependent, and it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely or in conjunction with the childcare commitment.
For more information or to request leave related to COVID-19, please contact Faculty Affairs at COVID19-Faculty-Info@csulb.edu.
The following leaves of absence are available to faculty for purposes such as research, scholarly and creative activity, instructional improvement or faculty retraining.
- Sabbatical Leaves
- Difference-in-Pay Leaves
- Personal leaves of absence without pay may be granted for reasons such as outside employment or purposes of a personal nature.
- Professional leaves of absence without pay may be for purposes of research, advanced study, professional development or other purposes to benefit the campus.
Medical leaves of absence are available for the following:
- Caring for your own serious health condition
- Caring for a family member with a serious health condition
- Parental leave
Additional Types of Leaves
- Paid Bereavement Leave (Article 23)
- For the following types of leave with pay, see Article 22 in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Military Leave
- Jury Duty Leave
- Leave to Vote
- Absence as a Witness
Leaves for Teaching Associates and Graduate Assistants
The Collective Bargaining Agreement has information on leaves of absence for teaching associates and graduate assistants (Unit 11 employees).