You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

Where may I find an application?

The application packet for Fall 2020 will be available October 1, 2019.  As a reference, you may access the fall 2019 application here: Master of Science in Counseling, Option in Student Development in Higher Education (PDF)

Do I need to take the GRE?

No. There are no examinations required for admission to the SDHE program.

What is the GPA requirement?

The College of Education requires a minimum GPA of 2.85 on the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units versus the University requirement of 2.50.

What if my undergraduate GPA was low? Will I have a chance to be admitted?

The admission committee uses a holistic evaluation process. Each applicant's documents are carefully considered. Special action is required if an applicant's GPA is below 2.85 in the last 60 credits. Thus, the committee looks for outstanding letters of recommendation, previous experience in the field, and written statements of exceptional quality.

What are the requirements for the program?

The SDHE curriculum requires a minimum of 51 units and as many as 57 units if the student chooses to write a thesis (6 units) in lieu of the comprehensive examination. Students must also acquire 450 hours of supervised fieldwork in an institution of higher education.

SDHE core requirements (SDHE 510, 538, 513, 593 and ED P 400) are completed after matriculation and typically in the first year of enrollment. After successfully completing these core requirements, the student applies for Advancement to Candidacy. Since the majority of core courses are only available to students after they are admitted to SDHE, there are few, if any, courses we are able to accept from other institutions. 

For detailed information about course prerequisites, advancement to candidacy, and other requirements please consult the SDHE application and the CSULB Catalog.

How much are tuition and fees for graduate school?

Graduate school fees are set by the CSU Board of Trustees each academic year. The current fee structure may be found on the Enrollment Services web site.

Are there any prerequisites or courses I can transfer in to this program?

There are no prerequisites for the introductory SDHE courses (SDHE 510, 538, 513, 593 and ED P 400). Students are admitted in a group (or "cohort") each fall and take their courses together throughout the program to enhance the learning experience. Occasionally applicants may have completed Educational Psychology (EDP) 400 as an undergraduate at CSULB.

The ultimate decision to accept a transfer course rests with the faculty who teach the equivalent course(s) at CSULB. With the volume of applications received each year we are unable to review transcripts of prospective students. However, once admitted, our students receive guidance from their advisor on seeking course equivalencies.

Contact the College of Education: Office of Graduate Studies and Research, ED-1 Room 7, (562) 985-8476 for more information.

Are there any assistantships or scholarships?

SDHE does not have a formal assistantship program. However, after admission decisions are made, students are encouraged to inform faculty about their availability and interest in part-time and full-time employment opportunities. Many positions are available at CSULB and at colleges and universities in the area. Nearly all students who seek employment find it within the first semester of enrollment. There are also scholarships available for second year students. The CSULB College of Education provides scholarship information and an on-line application.

What time of day are the classes? Can I work while doing this program?

Classes are designed for working professionals and are offered in the evening. Most SDHE students are employed at local colleges and universities. Course scheduling varies by semester; however, classes do not begin prior to 4 p.m.

Do you admit part-time students?

Yes. Each fall we admit a cohort of students, most of whom intend to study full-time. In order to sustain the cohort learning community and to complete the program in a timely fashion, full-time status is strongly encouraged after admission; however, based on individual circumstances, students may take less than a full-time load. Students are encouraged to work with their advisor to ensure that all program requirements are being met to ensure timely graduation.

Are graduates of this program sufficiently documented in order to work at the community college level?

SDHE is a Master's of Science in Counseling degree offered by the CSULB College of Education. By earning a degree in counseling, our graduates are eligible for employment as counselors in California community colleges.

May I schedule an appointment to speak with a faculty member?

Yes. We welcome inquiries about the SDHE program. Please contact the Eductional Leadership Department or the program coordinator. We will follow up to make arrangements for a telephone or in-person meeting.