- CSULB Policy on Service Learning
- Community-Based Research Exchange
- Curriculum Design Workshop Series
- IRA Funding
- Video Playlist
- Other guides, manuals, instructions, other resources
- Reappointment, Tenure and Promotion
- Service Learning Handbook (PDF)
The Cal State Long Beach Policy on Service Learning, Policy Number 19-13, was recently passed by the Academic Senate and became effective on November 5, 2019. "This policy establishes guidance on Service Learning (SL) for the entire campus. It addresses the approval process and the role of the Center for Community Engagement (CCE). This policy does not apply to teacher preparation placements or clinical placements in professional programs." The policy sets forth the minimum requirements for a course to be certified as a service learning course. All existing and future service learning courses will be reviewed by the Center for Community Engagement and should reflect the definition of service learning and incorporate the requirements as described within the policy in order to receive certification. For the full text of the policy, please go to the CSULB Policy on Service Learning (19-13).
|February 1st||February 1st||September 1st||September 1st|
Join us for the Community-Based Research Exchange: Spring 2020 Series!
Whether building connections between campus and community, extending student learning beyond the classroom, or sparking social change, models of community-based research hold great promis. Plese join us as we explore the possibilities of community-based research and build capacity to engage our students in this High Impact work. RSVP at email@example.com or call (562) 985-7131.
REFLECTIONS + POSSIBILITIES
February 4, 2020, 1:00-3:00 PM
Anatol Center, Patio Room
COMMUNITY-BASED RESEARCH + TEACHING
February 25, 2020, 1:00-3:00 PM
Center for Community Engagement, AS-127
Come hear from faculty and students who have engaged in community-based research projects. We will discuss the overall vision of this approach and its impact, while building a network of likeminded faculty interested in undertaking similar projects.
Hear from faculty regarding how they teach about or incorporate elements of community-based research in their classrooms. We will discuss learning outcomes and activities to help orient students to the community-based research approach. RSVP required.
COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS: PARTNERS + THE POWER OF RESEARCH
March 24, 2020, 12:00-2:00 PM
April 14, 2020, 1:00-3:00 PM
Center for Community Engagement, AS-127
Leaders of community organizations that have partnered with universities will speak about their experiences and how research can support community goals. Light refreshments will be served. RSVP required.
Join us for lunch and a collaborative session to strengthen existing partnerships or develop new research projects. RSVP required.
Application Deadline: February 10, 2020
Are you a tenured/tenure-track faculty or a full time lecturer interested in incorporating Service Learning into one of your courses? We are now accepting applications for the Spring 2020 Service Learning Curriculum Design workshop series. You should apply if you:
- Want to incorporate Service Learning into an existing or new course that you will be teaching in the following Academic Year;
- Have a general idea of how Service Learning would fit within your course;
- Have identified potential community partner sites or types of sites appropriate for the course;
- Have the support of your chair to teach the course in the future; and
- Are able to attend all four curriculum workshops and complete workshop homework.
Experienced service learning faculty facilitate curriculum development workshops and provide individual consultation to assist interested faculty in developing new or revising existing courses to integrate service learning. Curriculum Development Funds of up to $1,000 will be made available to faculty who complete a successful redesign of their course syllabus and teach the Service Learning course in the following Academic Year with the intention to teach the Service Learning course in future semesters. Completed courses will be reviewed for compliance with the CSULB Policy on Service Learning (#19-13).
- Syllabus revision
- Developing learning objectives for service-learning activities
- Guided critical reflection
- Developing appropriate community partnerships
- Managing risk
- CSULB Policy on Service Learning and certifying your service learning course
How to Apply:
- Obtain a letter of support from your department chair that can be uploaded with the online application
- Have a recent syllabus or SCO that can be uploaded with the online application (this is optional)
- Go to the SL Curriculum Design Series Application.
Apply by February 10, 2020
The CCE offers IRA Funds to reimburse faculty and students for costs associated with service-learning/ community-based course activities that directly relate to the course’s service learning goals and objectives, are consistent with service learning best practices, and meet other criteria as detailed in our Procedures and Guidelines.
To apply for IRA Funds:
- Procedures and Guidelines (PDF)
- Application/Request for Funds (Must be logged into S4 @ The Beach to access form)
To receive reimbursement (IRA awardees):
- IRA Request for Reimbursement (Must be logged into S4 @ The Beach to access form)
- IRA End-of-Semester Report
Applications received by the initial deadline receive priority consideration although applications will be accepted after the initial deadline. Funds will be awarded based upon the criteria noted in the CCE IRA Service Learning Reimbursement Program Procedures and Guidelines and on the availability of funds.
* Service Learning Faculty, are your service learning students covered by SAFECLIP or SPLIP, the university’s student liability insurance?
Your students are covered if:
- Your course and community partners are included on S4 @ The Beach
- Your students are registered for their placement sites onS4 @ The Beach
- A service learning agreement is in place for your community partners.
If any one of these are not true for your service learning class, contact us immediately and we will be glad to assist you.