Zipcar is a car sharing/car club service available on campus that offers temporary use of vehicles as an easy alternative to traditional car rental and car ownership. All students, faculty and staff, 18 years or older, with a valid driver’s license (international OK) are eligible to rent from Zipcar.
Zipcar members pay a monthly or annual membership fee in addition to car reservations charges. Members can reserve Zipcars with the mobile app, online or by phone at any time, immediately or up to a year in advance. Zipcars can be reserved by the hour or by the day.
Members have automated access to Zipcars using an access card which works in conjunction with the car's technology to unlock the door, where the keys are already located inside. Zipcar also offers an iPhone or Android application that allows members to honk the horn to locate a Zipcar and unlock the doors. Zipcar charges a one-time application fee, an annual fee, and a reservation charge. Fuel, parking, insurance, and maintenance are included in the price.
Zipcar currently has four cars at various locations on CSULB’s campus (two in Lot G6, two in Lot E2).
How to use Zipcar?
- Step 1: Apply for a ZipCar membership online
- Step 2: Reserve a Zipcar for a couple hours or the whole day. Do it online or on your phone via the Zipcar mobile app.
- Step 3: Walk to the car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The doors will unlock and the keys will be inside.
- Step 4: When your time is almost up, return the car to the same reserved parking spot. Be sure to follow all instructions provided on the Zipcar website in order to avoid extra charges. This list serves only an overview of the reservation process.
What is included?
- Miles (up to 180 miles/day)
- Your own Zipcard
- The mobile app (free download for iOs or Android)
Zipcar is a private, independent company and not affiliated with the CSU or providing services in partnership with CSULB. Please visit the Zipcar website for full rental terms and conditions, services provided, and additional eligibility restrictions.