If you believe you have been cited in error, you may appeal your citation within 21 calendar days from the date of issue by following the process below. The first step in any citation appeal is an Initial Review.
Level 1: Initial Review
The Initial Review is the first step in any citation appeal. Please click on the link above to start the appeal process.
- When completing your online appeal, your license plate number and citation number must match in order to complete the request. If an error message is received, please check that the correct citation number and/or license plate information has been entered.
- An Initial Review can be requested online, by mail, or in-person at the Parking & Transportation building on campus.
- No citation payment is needed to request an Initial Review.
- Your request for an Initial Review must be received within 21 calendar days of the citation issuance or within 14 calendar days from the mailing of the notice to your address.
- When submitting your request, please include as much information as possible to help substantiate your case including images, personal statement, or proof of parking purchase.
- After your Initial Review is completed, you will be notified via email (or by mail if no email has been provided) that your citation has either been dismissed or upheld. If your citation is dismissed, no further action is required on your part. A full refund will be issued for any payments made with the exception of any online transaction fees.
- If the citation is upheld, you have the option to further your appeal by requesting an Administrative Hearing (Level 2) within 21 calendar days.
Level 2: Administrative Hearing
The Administrative Hearing is the second level of appeal within the citation appeal process.
- If during the Initial Review (Level 1) your citation was upheld, you have the option to further your appeal by requesting an Administrative Hearing (Level 2) by clicking the link above.
- Administrative Hearing requests must be received within 21 calendar days from the mailing of the results of the Initial Review.
- Full payment of the citation fee is required before an Administrative Hearing can be requested.
- You may qualify for a Citation Hardship Fee Waiver if you are currently receiving public benefits such as Food Stamps/EBT, Social Security Administration (SSI/SSP), Medi-Cal or other low income assistance. This waiver will only postpone the fees of the citation until after the Administrative Hearing is conducted. The Hardship Fee Waiver will not dismiss any citation fees if the decision is upheld. Citation Hardship Fee Waivers can be submitted via fax to 562.985.7832, in-person at the Parking & Transportation (PTS) building or by mail to:
Parking and Transportation Services
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840-0126
- After your citation fees are paid in full are paid in full/Hardship Fee Waiver approved, you will then be contacted by Parking and Transportation Services to schedule your hearing date. If you are unable to attend the Administrative Hearing in-person, a written statement of appeal may also be submitted.
- After the Administrative Hearing is conducted, you will be notified via email (or by mail if no email has been provided) if the citation has either been dismissed or upheld. If the citation has been dismissed, then a full refund will be issued with the exception of any online transaction fees.
- If the citation was upheld, you have the option to appeal the citation a third time by pursuing a formal Court Appeal (Level 3).
Level 3: Court Appeal
The Court Appeal is the final appeal option available.
- If during the Administrative Hearing (Level 2) your citation decision was upheld, then you have a final option of filing a formal Court Appeal at the Stanley Mosk Courthouse in downtown Los Angeles.
- The courthouse will require a nonrefundable fee for filing the appeal and will retain the fee regardless of the appeal decision.
- The Stanley Mosk Courthouse can be reached at 213.830.0803.
- If the court decides in favor of the respondent, Parking and Transportation Services will issue a full refund for the amount of the citation with the exception of any online transaction fees.
- There are no additional appeal options after a Court Appeal.