The BILA pathway in the CSULB Multiple Subject and Single Subject Credential Programs allow students to obtain the additional Bilingual Authorization (BILA) to teach in Dual Language classrooms. This pathway is for candidates that wish to teach in classrooms where the language of emphasis is appropriate for instruction and in situations where teachers use the target language for explanation, preview-review, and interaction with families.
The BILA pathway is available for candidates in any of the Post-Bac Pathways as well as the ITEP Undergraduate Pathways.
At CSULB we offer Bilingual Authorizations in the following language areas:
Spanish BILA Authorization
In addition to the requirements for the Multiple Subject Credential, students must complete the following to receive the Spanish Bilingual Authorization:
- Meet with Meet Professor Olga Rubio, BILA Coordinator-Spanish Authorizations for a Spanish Proficiency Exam.
- Pass the CSET Spanish Subtest III prior to applying to student teaching.
- Take 2 Course Requirements prior to student teaching:
- EDEL 453S - Methodology of Bilingual Education or Pass the CSET Spanish Subtest IV
- CHLS 340 - Latinos in Education or Pass the CSET Spanish Subtest V
Candidates that are currently in the Multiple Subject Credential Program that have met all of the above requirements at the time of student teaching application, will complete 8 weeks of Student Teaching in a bilingual setting.
Candidates that already hold a valid Multiple Subject Credential will not need to student teach again. Once they have met all of the above requirements, they can visit the Credential Center for assistance in applying for the Bilingual Authorization with the CTC.
NOTE: UTEACH candidates must complete BILA requirements before they start their method courses.
Spanish BILA Faculty Coordinator
Dr. Olga G. Rubio
Office: College of Education ED2-194
Asian Languages BILA
In addition to the requirements for the Credential Program, students must complete the following prior to applying for student teaching to receive the Asian Language Bilingual Authorization:
- Admission to the Multiple Subject Credential Program (MSCP), Single Subject Credential Program (SSCP), Education Specialist Credential Program (ESCP) or currently hold a valid CA credential.
- Pass the CSET World Language Subtest III-Language and Communication
- Take the appropriate Culture course for your target language or Pass the CSET World Language Subtest V (Course must be in progress or Exam must be passed at the time of student teaching application.)
- EDEL 455K: Korean* - CSU Fullerton will be offering EDSC 541K online during Summer 2018 from June 25-August 3. This course is equivalent to EDEL 455K. Registration begins April 23, 2018. Click here for information on how to register.
- EDEL 455C: Mandarin* - Cal Poly Pomona will be offering EWS 301 online during Summer 2018 (June 18-July 24). This course is equivalent to EDEL 455C. Registration ends April 17 for summer. Click here for more information on how to register.
- ASAM 333: Vietnamese*
- Take the appropriate Language Methods courses for your target language or Pass the CSET World Language Subtest IV (Course must be in progress or Exam must be passed at the time of student teaching application.)
- EDEL 453K: Korean* - CSU Fullerton will be offering EDSC 446K online during Summer 2018 from May 29-June 29. This course is equivalent to EDEL 453K. Registration begins April 23, 2018. Click here for information on how to register.
- EDEL 453M: Mandarin*
- EDEL 453V: Vietnamese*
- UTEACH Candidates interested in a BILA-must take required courses or pass CSET BILA Subtests IV and V and pass the CSET World Language Subtest III prior to taking MSCP Methods and Student Teaching.
- Multiple Subject Student Teaching Requirement (only for students currently admitted to MSCP that have completed all of the above requirements):
- 8 of 16 Units of Student Teaching in a Bilingual Setting
*Course can be taken prior to admission to the credential program. The courses listed above are not offered every semester. Click here to be placed on a email list to be notified when the courses are being offered.