The University Honors Program at California State University, Long Beach, aims to recruit students who are not only academically high-achieving but also those who are planning to be meaningfully engaged in the CSULB campus and its surrounding communities. Honors students are leaders, stewards of their environment, global citizens, creative thinkers, and risk-takers in their education.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher (4.0 or higher recommended for President’s Scholarship consideration)
- Strong ACT and/or SAT scores are desirable
- Recommended scores for the Engineering Honors Track - SAT-M ≥ 650 and SAT-CR ≥ 600, or ACT Math ≥ 31 and ACT Reading ≥ 27
- Ability to complete the unit requirements of the selected Honors Plan
* Even if not all criteria are met, under special circumstances, applicants may be evaluated for admissions consideration by the Honors Program Director
Timeframes & Deadlines
Applying for Fall Program Admittance
First Round with President’s Scholarships consideration (First year and transfer students)
- February 1 - Application opens
- March 1 - Deadline for completed application and Letters of Recommendation
Second Round (First year, transfer, and continuing CSULB students)
- March 15 - Application opens
- June 1 - Deadline for completed application and Letters of Recommendation
Applying for Spring Program Admittance
First Round (transfer and continuing CSULB students)
- November 15 - Application opens
- December 15 - Deadline for completed application and Letters of Recommendation
What You Will Need
- Your CSULB ID Number- This is your 9-digit student number that is provided to you on your admissions letter
- Unofficial Transcripts- Saved in PDF format
- SAT/ACT Scores (if First Time Freshman)
- Recommender Contact Information- The teacher, professor, or education professional who is writing a letter of recommendation for you
- Please note: Your recommender will receive an email to submit a letter of recommendation for you online, after you submit your University Honors Application. It is suggested that you submit your application at least a week prior to the deadline to give your recommender ample time to submit their letter of recommendation for you.
- More details regarding the recommendation letter and information to provide to your recommender can be found on our Letter of Recommendation Page.
- Personal Statement
Prompt for Personal Statement:
In your essay, please explain how you think being part of the University Honors Program at CSULB will enhance your undergraduate experience; discuss how your unique background (personal, community, academic, extra-curricular, or other experiences) has inspired your choice of major; and consider describing your dreams, triumphs and challenges, leadership experiences and/or goals.
This is your opportunity to introduce yourself to the University Honors Program. Take time to thoughtfully reflect upon what you will write. A personal statement is personal so there is no one right essay style, but here are some guidelines:
- DO exercise critical thinking by providing a carefully considered statement: avoid clichés, quotations from others (we want to hear from you!), and grandiose claims.
- DO provide specific examples of your points: avoid vague generalities and unsupported assertions.
- DO proofread and edit carefully: avoid distracting your readers with preventable writing mistakes.
- DO use 12-point font and one-inch margins and write a maximum of two pages, double spaced (approx. 500 words).
- DO insert your full name and the date in your document header.