What is Day One Digital Access?
- D1DA is a pilot program that allows students immediate access to their course materials in a digital format on day one of classes
What are the benefits?
- Immediate access to course materials
- Studies show that students who obtain their course materials immediately perform better than other students who forego or delay purchasing their course materials
- Significantly reduced pricing compared to the purchase of a printed textbook
- Sustainability in terms of paper utilization versus printed materials
How do students enroll or pay?
- If it is available for your class, you will automatically have free digital access via Beach Board on day one of classes
- After the CSULB add/drop deadline, you will be prompted to “opt-in” if you would like to keep and pay for the digital access
What if I purchased or rented a printed textbook?
- If you purchased or rented from the University Bookstore and decide you want to opt-in to the digital format, you can get a refund by the add/drop deadline
- If you prefer the printed textbook, simply sit back, relax, and do not opt-in to the digital access once the free access period is over
Isn’t D1DA just another fancy term for course fee?
- Technically, it is NOT a course fee
- A course fee is a mandatory charge once you register for classes
- D1DA is completely optional, free access is given on day one of classes, and it is your CHOICE to “opt-in” if you’d like to be charged to keep the digital access
- Not to be confused with “subscribing and opting out” like with Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime
Why isn’t my class in the program?
- D1DA is a new program with select classes
- If successful, the program will expand to more titles soon