As a BUILD Scholar or Fellow, you will receive up to $1,500 for conference travel support for each of the year(s) in the BUILD Scholars Program. Plan out which conference(s) to attend with your BUILD Research Mentor. If funds are not used, they expire at the end of the fiscal year (June 30).
Travel Contacts/Submit Forms To
- Nicole Streicker at Nicole.Streicker@csulb.edu or PH1-115.
- Marie Reed at Marie.Reed@csulb.edu or PH1-113.
- All Scholars and Fellows are required to present at one research conference per year.
- All Scholars must attend ABRCMS in Year One with BUILD. In Year One, a research presentation is encouraged but not required. Year One travel funds will initially go to cover fees for ABRCMS, remaingin funds can be used for additional conferences planned by you and your mentor.
- Fellows are expected to present at a professional conference/ABRCMS by December to increase your chances of graduate admissions.
- To be eligible for reimbursement, you must have submitted an abstract.
- All conferences must be approved by your BUILD Research Mentor and BUILD Training Director (TD) prior to your travel and bookings.
Your travel funds can be used for the following: registration, transportation (including uber/lyft), hotel (location is >25miles), meals (if not provided at the conference), mileage, and parking. For reimbursements, you will need to provide original itemized receipts which include all of the following: date, location, your name, what was purchased, total paid, and proof of payment (a bank statement is not enough). You can review the University Travel Policy here.
Steps to be completed prior to travel:
- To get Training Director (TD) approval, email a Travel Contact with your 1) conference name, 2) link to the conference site and 3) travel dates. Once approved, you will receive an email with the Travel Request Form to complete.
- Forward abstract acceptance/rejection notification (once you receive it).
- If your submitted abstract was not approved, you may be able to attend the conference (if it is in your own discipline) with TD approval. If you are still interested in attending the conference, please ask your travel contact if it is approved. If you attended ABRCMS or SACNAS in Year One, you cannot attend in Year Two without a research presentation. In addition to the steps of this travel process, you must also complete a conference worksheet and submit it to BB within 1 week of return.
- Email the completed Travel Request Form to a Travel Contact. There are two tabs/pages you are required to complete:
- Tab 1: “Estimation Worksheet” enter all expenses for this trip (required). You can use this to figure out the amount to be entered in the next tab.
- Tab 2: “Request for Travel” complete all sections that apply to you: Name, ID, Request Date, Address, Destination: City, State & Zip, Travel Dates, Purpose, and Amount.
- Your Travel Contact will print, obtain approval signatures, and once approved you will be notified that you can begin your bookings.
Once You Have Been Approved for Travel Funding
Here are guidelines to help you plan for your conference:
Conference Fee (Two Options):
- You can pay for your conference fees and be reimbursed after you have completed your travel.
- You can see a Travel Contact to pay your fees using our P-card. If you use this option, please have your registration form completed (using a BUILD center computer) and ready for payment.
Airfare (Two Options):
- You can pay for your airfare and be reimbursed after you have completed your travel.
- You can make your reservations through our contracted travel agency, Global Travel, and your airfare will be pre-paid. You will be given instructions if you let us know you decide to use this option.
*We are not able to reimburse you for travel insurance
You will have to book lodging on your own using your credit card. At check-in, hotels will ask for a credit card/cash as a hold for your room. Make sure you have sufficient funds to cover this. You can only get reimbursed upon return with a final folio listing your name, hotel name/location, costs per day, and total paid amount. If you don't receive this, simply call the hotel and ask that they email it to you.
Travel Advance Check:
You have the option to request a “travel advance check” of up to 80% of your expected costs, but this must be requested at least three weeks prior to your travel date. The travel advance check will then be issued to you approximately one week prior to your travel. Last minute requests will not be considered. Once you return from your trip, you will need to provide receipts to show how the advance was used within three weeks of your return date. Failure to comply with these regulations will result in you having to pay back the advance. Inform a Travel Contact A.S.A.P. if you are interested.
The maximum amount to be reimbursed is $55 per day and alcohol is not allowed. If the conference provides meals, you will not be reimbursed. You must submit itemized receipts taped to an 8½” x 11" paper in order by date, labeled as breakfast, lunch, or dinner with your total amount (including any tips) written in. Tape cannot cover any text on the receipts.
You are encouraged to print on campus through the G2 Lab. By printing it through the G2 lab, no funds come out of your pocket and it is directly paid by BUILD. When completing their online Poster Submission Form, include Marie Reed’s email as the FUNDER’S EMAIL: email@example.com. You will get an email from the G2 Lab once your poster is ready for pick up at HSCI-162. You do not need to include this cost in your Travel Request amount.
It is your responsibility to inform your Travel Contact that you are back from your trip to initiate your reimbursement. Your Travel Contact will then complete the formal Travel Claim form, obtain approval signatures, and drop it off at the Foundation Office to be processed.
- Submit original itemized receipts to be processed.
- Receipts should be separated by item type (transportation, meals, etc.) and organized by date.
- Meal receipts should be submitted in order by date with total amount paid written in (including tip). Label each one as breakfast, lunch, or dinner. If you eat in a group, make sure to indicate which charge(s) are yours and calculate your total.
2. Forward your abstract confirmation.
3. Reimbursements must be completed within 30 days of your return date.
4. You must inform your Graduate Mentor (GM) of your conference attendance, presentations, and/or publications (required by NIH for tracking).
Funding is limited and is only guaranteed upon approval. Depending on workload, reimbursements can take up to 3-4 weeks. The Foundation Office mails reimbursement checks. If you have had an address change, please inform BUILD asap.
SEARCH FOR TRAVEL GRANTS TO SUPPLEMENT YOUR BUILD TRAVEL FUND, EITHER PROVIDED BY THE CONFERENCE AND/OR BY CSULB (ASI/Student Life & Development, etc.)!
- About travel funds or arrangements should be directed to a Travel Contact.
- About BUILD requirements for conference participation should be directed to Student Training Core Director.
Thank you and good luck with your conferences!
NOTE: Banned States
The following states are currently subject to California’s ban on state-funded and state-sponsored travel:
- North Carolina
- South Dakota