As a BUILD Scholar or Fellow, you will receive up to $1,500 of conference travel support for each of the year(s) in the BUILD Scholars Program. Plan out which conference(s) to attend with your BUILD Research Mentor. If funds are not used, they expire at the end of the fiscal year (June 30).
Travel Contacts/Submit Forms To
- Nicole Streicker at Nicole.Streicker@csulb.edu or PH1-115.
- Marie Reed at Marie.Reed@csulb.edu or PH1-113.
- All Scholars and Fellows are required to present at one research conference per year.
- To be eligible for reimbursement, you must have submitted an abstract.
- All Scholars must attend ABRCMS or SACNAS with BUILD at least once, either in their first or second year in the BUILD Scholars Program.
- All conferences must be approved by your BUILD Faculty Mentor and BUILD Learning Community (LC) Training Director (TD) prior to travel using the Conference Plan Worksheet (distributed in LC). You must update this worksheet to include all conferences attending/attended for the year.
Your travel funds will initially go to cover fees for ABRCMS/SACNAS first, and remaining funds can be used for additional conferences planned by you and your mentor.
Your travel funds can be used for the following: registration, transportation, hotel (location is >25miles), meals (if not provided at the conference), mileage, and parking. For reimbursements, you will need to provide original, legible receipts which include all of the following: date, location, your name, itemization, total paid, and proof of payment. A bank statement is not enough.
- Upload your Conference Plan Worksheet to BeachBoard (BB). This is reviewed and approved by the BUILD Training Directors (TD). If BB is unavailable, email it to a Travel Contact.
- Forward abstract acceptance/rejection notification (once you receive it).
- If your submitted abstract was not approved, you may be able to attend the conference (if it is in your own discipline). If you are still interested in attending the conference, please ask your travel contact if it is approved (the conference will need to be approved by the TDs). If you attended ABRCMS/SACNAS in your 1st year, you cannot attend in your 2nd year without presentation. In addition to the steps of this travel process, you must also complete an additional worksheet and submit it to BB within 1 week of return.
- Email a completed Travel Request Form to a Travel Contact. There are two tabs you are required to complete.
- Tab 1 - “Estimation Worksheet” enter all expenses for this trip (required). You can use this to figure out the amount to be entered in the next tab.
- Tab 2 - “Request for Travel” complete all sections that apply to you: Name, ID, Request Date, Address, Destination: City, State & Zip, Travel Dates, Purpose, and Amount.
- Your Travel Contact will print, obtain approval signatures and once approved, you will be notified that you can begin your bookings.
Once You Have Been Approved for Travel Funding
Here are guidelines to help you plan for your conference:
Airfare (Two Options):
- You can pay for your airfare and be reimbursed after you have completed your travel.
- You can make your reservations through our contracted travel agency, Global Travel, and your airfare will be pre-paid. You will be given instructions if you let us know you decide to use this option.
Conference Fees and Membership Fees (Two Options):
- You can pay for your conference/membership fees and be reimbursed after you have completed your travel.
- You can see a Travel Contact to pay your fees using our P-card. If you use this option, please have your registration form completed (laptop or BUILD center computer) and ready for payment.
You will have to book your lodging using your own credit card. At check-in, hotels will ask for a credit card/cash as a hold for your room. Make sure you have sufficient funds to cover this. You can only get reimbursed upon return with a final folio listing your name, hotel name/location, costs per day, and total paid amount. If you don't receive this, simply call the hotel and ask that they email it to you.
You have the option to request a “travel advance” of up to 80% of your lodging costs, but this must be requested at least 3 weeks prior to your travel date. The “travel advance” will then be issued approximately one week prior to your travel. Last minute “travel advance” requests will not be considered. Once you return from your trip, you will need to provide receipts to show how the advance was used within 3 weeks of your return date. Failure to comply with these regulations will result in you having to pay back the advance. Inform a Travel Contact A.S.A.P. if you are interested.
The maximum amount to be reimbursed is $55/day (+$7 tips), and alcohol is not allowed. If the conference provides meals, you will not be reimbursed. You must submit itemized receipts taped to an 8½ x11" paper in order by date, labeled breakfast/lunch/dinner with your tip amount written in. Tape cannot cover any text.
You can print on campus through the G2 Lab. By printing it through the G2 lab, no funds come out of your pocket and it is directly paid by BUILD. When completing their online Poster Submission Form, include Marie Reed’s email as the FUNDER’S EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org. You will get an email from the G2 Lab once your poster is ready for pick up at HSCI-162. You do not need to include this cost in your Travel Request amount. In the event you need to print outside of the G2 Lab, bring your receipt in for reimbursement.
- It is your responsibility to inform your Travel Contact that you are back from your trip to initiate your reimbursement. Your Travel Contact will then complete the formal Travel Claim form, obtain approval signatures, and drop it off at the Foundation Office to be processed.
- Submit: receipts to be processed for reimbursement and confirmation that your abstract was submitted.
- Reimbursements must be completed within 30 days of your return date.
- If you have transportation fees or mileage to/from airport, be sure to inform your Travel Contact.
- You must inform your GA of your conference attendance and presentation information (required by NIH for tracking).
Funding is limited and is only guaranteed upon approval. Depending on workload, reimbursements can take up to 3-4 weeks. The Foundation Office mails reimbursement checks. If you have had an address change, please inform BUILD.
SEARCH FOR TRAVEL GRANTS TO SUPPLEMENT YOUR BUILD TRAVEL FUND, EITHER PROVIDED BY THE CONFERENCE AND/OR BY CSULB (ASI/Student Life & Development, etc.)!
- About travel funds or arrangements should be directed to a Travel Contact.
- About BUILD requirements for conference participation should be directed to Student Training Core Director.
Thank you and good luck with your conferences!
NOTE: Banned States
The following states are currently subject to California’s ban on state-funded and state-sponsored travel:
- North Carolina
- South Dakota