SURGE 1 and 2 Scholars competed for best Elevator Speech aimed at a scientific audience and lay audience on June 20. The winning speakers, listed below, received a coveted chocolate medallion. Honing their elevator speeches helps Scholars speak more clearly about their research and this contest not only gave them the incentive to give their best but also highlights what good elevator speeches can look like.
- Rhea Mehta, First Place, SURGE 1, Scientific
- Gregory Kouris, Second Place, SURGE 1, Scientific
- Joshuah Gagan, First Place, SURGE 2, Scientific
- John-Edward Poli, First Place, SURGE 1, Family & Friends
- Do (Diane) Kim, Second Place, SURGE 1, Family & Friends
- Edward Thai, First Place, SURGE 2, Family & Friends
In addition, Katherine Henson won the “Children’s Choice” award and received a box of Kellog’s Frosted Flakes.
Congratulations go out to all our finalists who made it to the final round: Scientific – Tatiana Avila, Reah Chiong, Ariel Gilligan, Jesus Hoil, Jacquelyn Villalba and Jason Watts; Family & Friends – Carlos Alvarado, Kenneth Bush, Stephanie Leal, and Andrea Luna. Scores for everyone’s presentation were very close!
Academic Audience Elevator Speech Contest
Friends & Family Elevator Speech Contest
Below are the winning Elevator Speeches.
Academic Elevator Speeches
Friends and Family Elevator Speeches