Certificate in Urban Studies
The Urban Studies Certificate, housed in the Department of Geography, takes an interdisciplinary approach. Students take a core of courses in Geography and take courses from one of two concentrations (Urban Theory and Practice or Applied Urban Geography). For further information, go to www.csulb.edu/geography.
- 1. A bachelor's degree, which may be earned concurrently.
- 2. Consultation with the undergraduate advisor in the Geography Department.
- 3. A minimum of 23 units distributed as follows:
- Core requirements (6 units):
- Take the following courses:
- GEOG 301I The Urban Scene (3)
- GEOG 464 Urban Geography (3)
- Concentration Requirement (minimum 17 units)
- Choose One Option:
- Concentration A - Applied Urban Geography: GEOG 446, 467, 485*, 487B; and one of the following: ASAM 435; CHLS 470I, CAFF 322, 422; GEOG 471 or HCA 471.
- Concentration B - Urban Theory and Practice: Take six of the following courses: GEOG 467, 468; HIST 469, 474I; ANTH 416; POSC 327; CHLS 421; WGSS 432; DESN 367.
- *Students must also take GEOG 380 before enrolling in this course. This course is a prerequisite and does not count toward the Certificate.