Option in Interpersonal and Organizational Communication
(code COMMBA03) (120 units)
This option requires 48 units of which 36 are upper division. All Communication Studies majors, regardless of option chosen, are required to complete the following core.
- 1. Lower Division Core (12 units):
- Take all the following:
- COMM 110 Interpersonal Communication (3)
- COMM 131 Argumentation (3)
- *COMM 200 Gateway to Communication Studies (3)
- Take one of the following:
- COMM 130 Essentials of Public Speaking (3)
- COMM 171 Voice and Applied Speaking (3)
- *Students must take COMM 200 in their first year of declaring the major
- 2. Upper Division Core (18 units):
- Take all the following courses:
- COMM 300 Survey of Rhetorical Theory (3)
- COMM 301 Communication Criticism (3)
- COMM 306 Communication Theory (3)
- COMM 307 Measurement in Communication Research (3)
- COMM 309 Language and Behavior (3)
- COMM 330 Intercultural Communication (3)
- 3. Elective Courses: An additional 18 units of course work (of which at least 9 units must be in 400-level courses) are required for the major.
- 18 units drawn from: 334, 335, 337, 344, 355, 400, 410, 411, 412, 414, 420, 421, 432, 444, 449, 450, 452, 490 (consult with a communication studies advisor about which 490 course are appropriate for this degree option)
Only courses in which a "C" or better have been earned may be applied to satisfy upper division requirements in the major. Classes taken in which less than adequate grades are received must be repeated until an adequate grade is achieved. Majors will not be permitted to take any upper division class in the major on a credit/non-credit basis.