Two degree programs are available to the student: Master of Arts degree in Kinesiology with five Options and Master of Science degree in Kinesiology with four Options. The student may select the thesis/project track or the comprehensive examination track. The student who chooses the thesis/project track is required to complete a thesis or a project. The minimum unit requirement for the MA degree major program is 30 units for thesis/project students and 36 units for comprehensive examination students. The minimum unit requirement for the MS degree major program is 34 units for thesis/project students and 39 units for comprehensive examination students.
- 1. A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a major in Kinesiology/Physical Education or the equivalent;
- 2. If a prospective graduate student has a baccalaureate degree in a field other than Kinesiology or Physical Education, he/she may be required to take prerequisite or foundational upper-division undergraduate coursework in Kinesiology. Students must consult with the Associate Chair for Graduate Studies and/or major advisor before enrolling in foundational courses. The courses, which vary depending on the student's academic background and Option, may be taken at CSULB or another college/university. All foundational coursework must be completed prior to Advancement to Candidacy.
- 3. An overall undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or better and an upper division Kinesiology/Physical Education major GPA of 2.75 or better;
- 4. A minimum cumulative score of 450 on the verbal, 450 on the quantitative and 3.5 on the analytical writing sections of the Graduate Record Examination.
Advancement to Candidacy
- 1. Completion of the general University requirements for advancement to candidacy;
- 2. Fulfillment of the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR);
- 3. A graduate program must have approval of the student's advisor, Department Associate Chair for Graduate Studies, and Associate Dean of Graduate Students, Research, and Faculty Affairs for the College of Health and Human Services.