- Advisors, People, and Office Hours
- Class Schedule and Course Description
- Undergraduate Programs
- Credential Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Incoming Freshman
- K-12 Contests
- Research, Colloquia, and Stat Consulting (SCG)
- Lindgren Math Tutoring Center
- Resources and Resource Reservation
- Scholarship and Job Seekers
Math Day at the Beach
Math Day at the Beach
Saturday, March 15, 2014, 9AM-3PM
at the University Student Union Ballroom, CSULB
General Information: Math Day at the Beach is a problem-solving festival for Southern California high school students who want to have fun with mathematics and enjoy a day of camaraderie with university mathematics students and professors. High schools of Southern California are invited to bring a team of six students. We anticipate that again this year there will be no fees compliments of the CSULB Mathematics Department and the principal sponsor this year The Jerry Cassaday Family.
All students and faculty will be treated to lunch. Competition will be among the high school teams as well as individuals. Prizes and trophies will be awarded to the winning teams and individual winning students. The centerpiece of the event will be a one-hour, 20-25 question exam in high school level mathematics, designed by our Mathematics Department faculty, emphasizing creative thinking rather than computational skill. Questions will be selected from algebra, geometry, trigonometry, number theory, combinatorics, and probability and statistics. Sample exams and answers can be found on this website.
In addition to the individual multiple choice exam, there will be a team round, whereby all members work on a set of problems in a given amount of time, and a final “Face-Off” round to determine the individual winners. In the Face-Off round, top-scoring individuals will represent their team in an oral format.
If you have questions, contact Dr. Kent Merryfield by email at Kent.Merryfield@csulb.edu or by phone (562)985-5787.
Parents of students are invited to enjoy the day with their children.
Sponsorships are provided by
- The Jerry Cassaday Family
- LBS Financial Credit Union
- CSULB University Extension
- CSULB Associated Students, Inc.
- CSULB 49er shops/University Bookstore
- CSULB Department Of Mathematics and Statistics
- CSULB Parking, Transportation and Event Services