Mentor Supply Funds for BUILD Year 5
Please contact Marie Reed for instructions on spending your “Mentor Supply Funds” for Year 5.
Please keep the following in mind:
- You will have until Feb. 28, 2019 to spend out 50% of your funds. You will have until May 31, 2019 to spend out the remaining funds. These funds cannot be carried over.
- You are required to complete the ATI/E&IT check list and have it approved by the Purchasing Department PRIOR to the purchase of electronics and software. You can download a PDF of the form here. The completed form should be sent directly to Purchasing@csulb.edu for approval.
- Please refer to your mentor newsletters for announcements, updates, and purchasing guidelines.
Summer Research Symposium
Save the date for the Fourth Annual Summer Research Symposium to be held on Friday, July 27, starting at 5:30pm. You are encouraged to attend in support of your BUILD Scholars and Fellows who will be presenting their posters at the event, and meet their families. It will mean a lot to your mentees and their families for you to be there.
Also, your mentees, Scholars and Fellows attending SURGE 1 and SURGE 2, have projects due for the Symposium. Please help them meet their deadlines.
- Sunday, July 15: The draft of their poster is due. Your Scholars and Fellows will receive feedback from the Graduate Mentors and BUILD training faculty. We hope you can also provide guidance on your mentee’s poster.
- Friday, July 20: The final version of the poster is due for printing.
BUILD II Update
We have successfully submitted the renewal proposal for BUILD Phase II. The Principal Investigators are Drs. Chi-Ah Chun (Psychology), Jesse Dillon (Biological Sciences), Simon Kim (AVP, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs), Panadda Marayong (Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering), and Kim Vu (Psychology). We’d like to thank all of the mentors who have contributed information for the proposal and for your continuing support of BUILD trainees in their research group. We’ll keep you updated as more news about BUILD II comes in.
UCI Field Trip – July 10
CSULB BUILD Trainees went on a field trip to the University of California Irvine campus on Tuesday, July 10. Photo highlights will be posted on Facebook and a link to the gallery will be included in the next issue of this newsletter.
Grant Writing Course Available
Columbia University’s Department of Medicine is offering a course in writing NIH grant applications in October. Registration is required in advance.
- What: Best Practices for Competitive Grant Applications: NIH Funding for Research & Career Development Activities, 5.0 ACCME Credits
- Where: Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY
- When: Friday, October 5, 2018, noon to 5 p.m.
- More Information: http://www.columbiamedicinecme.org/nihfunding.shtml
- Register: https://events.columbia.edu/go/nih
CSULB BUILD in Pictures
CSULB BUILD’s Facebook and Instagram accounts are filled with pictures of our Associates, Scholars, and Fellows. Each month we’ll highlight a collection here.
- Graduation at CSULB – Highlighting BUILD Scholars: In May, many of our Year Two Scholars walked in the University’s commencement events. Here are some highlights.
- SURGE Photo Day and Elevator Speech Contest – On June, June 19, participants in the SURGE program practiced their elevator pitches about their research in for both a scientific and lay audience. Students voted for their favorites and those individuals competed in a contest judged by staff and faculty.
- SURGE Field Trip to USC – On Thurday, June 21, participants in the SURGE program (Year 1 Scholars and Fellows) went to USC to learn more about graduate program opportunities at out partner university.
Acknowledging BUILD in your presentations/publications
Please remember to acknowledge the funding from National Institute of General Medical Sciences of the National Institutes of Health under Award Numbers UL1GM118979, TL4GM118980, and RL5GM118978 on work supported by BUILD, including support from BUILD student trainees, mentor appreciation fund, BUILD research and equipment grants. For a sample acknowledgement statement, NIH resources and policy, please visit the “Acknowledging BUILD in Your Publications” page on our website. It can be found under Mentors > Current Mentors.
If you'd like to know what is coming up in the BUILD Learning Community for your mentee, download the current syllabus. This will give you a heads up on what events your mentee is required to attend and therefore will not be available to work in your lab at that time. This page will be updated each semester with the new syllabi.
Communicating with BUILD
We invite your news about your BUILD Trainee and any questions, comments, concerns, or suggestions about BUILD. If you have any of these, in relation to being a BUILD Research Mentor, please contact us at BUILD.email@example.com. If you have any concerns about your BUILD Student, please contact the Student Training Core Director at Jesse.Dillon@csulb.edu.
Be sure to keep an eye out for the August newsletter.