This curricular program, authorized by the
Academic Senate on February 16, 1984,
was approved by the President on
February 29, 1984.
SUBJECT: GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN PUBLIC SECTOR EMPLOYER-EMPOLYEE RELATIONS AND PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT
The Center for Public Policy and Administration offers the Certificate in Public Sector Employer-Employee Relations and Personnel Management. This is a six-course program designed for public sector managers and those aspiring to enter public service who need the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to deal effectively with the critical area of public sector employee relations and personnel management. The primary goal of this program is to provide the necessary training for public managers to effectively utilize human resources to their greatest potential in conjunction with the needs of the public organization.
1. An undergraduate degree in Public Administration or equivalent preparation for graduate study in Public Administration.
2. Acceptance by the University as a post-baccalaureate student.
3. An undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 or better, or 3.00 in the last 60 upper-division and graduate units attempted. A student whose overall undergraduate average is less than 2.75 but who presents acceptable evidence of professional potential shown through recent academic performance and experience may be admitted by special action of the Center.
4. Approval of the Director of the Center for Public Policy and Administration.
1. A total of six 500-600 level semester units from a completed master's degree in Public Administration/Public Affairs may be applied to the Certificate program.
2. Fifteen units of credit earned in the Certificate Program may be applied without restriction to the M.P.A. degree program. The student must apply for admission as a degree candidate to the M.P.A. Admission Committee.
List of Courses
A. Required Courses:
PPA 575 Public Sector Employer-Employee Relations 3 units
PPA 577 Public Sector Personnel Administration 3 units
PPA 510 Public Administrative Management Processes 3 units
B. Three elective courses to be selected from the following:
PPA 570 Negotiating Dynamics 3 units
PPA 527 Productivity in Local Government 3 units
PPA 530 Manpower Planning for Public Sector Organizations 3 units
PPA 580 Affirmative Action 3 units
PPA 590 Management Rights 3 units
PPA 680 Seminar in Urban Administration 3 units
PPA 565 Local Government and Finance Skills 3 units
EFFECTIVE: Fall 1984