Borrowing / Lending Services
Your CSULB campus ID card serves as your library card. You must have a valid CSULB campus ID in order to use some library materials and equipment. Students should call (562) 985-7388 for additional information regarding photo ID cards.
The basic loan period for books is 16 weeks. The loan period for media materials (audio cassettes, compact discs, videos, and DVDs) is 30 days. Periodicals and reference materials are not available for check-out.
Books may not be renewed. You will receive a reminder notice by email prior to the due date.
Bills for all fees are sent by the University Business Office via mail or email. Payments can be made on myCSULB or at the Cashier's Office in Brotman Hall. Please report lost materials to the Circulation Desk. Lost book fees include replacement costs and processing assessments.
Distance Learning Services
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need a library card?
- Will you send books to me?
- I need a copy of a journal article.
- What are my borrowing privileges at other CSU libraries?
- How do I get research help?
- How can my Distance Education students get access to the library? (Rosters)
Delivery Options for Distance Learners
Distance learners should request materials (books, articles, conference proceedings, etc.) not available at CSULB using BeachReach, with these cautions:
- Complete the appropriate BeachReach Interlibrary Loan form. Distance learners need to indicate their status every time they make a BeachReach request by noting answering YES to the question on each form "Are you are distance learner?"
- As a special service to distance learners, the CSULB Library will send through snail mail any materials (including those owned by CSULB) that can not be delivered electronically (this generally applies to books).
- For books, the date due and the return address will be provided you when you receive the book. You are responsible for the payment of return postage.
- If available electronically, journal articles will be emailed to you. If no electronic copy is available, a photocopy will be sent to you by first class mail.
- If the library owns the item you request and it is on the shelf, it should arrive in less than a week. Items that must be requested from other libraries will take longer than CSULB owned materials. (Check OneSearch to see if CSULB Library owns the item you want.)
- Check on the progress of your request by logging in to BeachReach Interlibrary Services and "Review Status of Requests and Retrieve Electronically Delivered Items".
Open Access Computer Labs
The Spidell Technology Center, 1st Floor, is one of two Open Access Computer Labs at CSULB. Over 200 computers are available in the Library building.
Photocopiers are located on the Lower Level and the 1st Floor. You can use your Campus ID card to pay for photocopies in any of the campus copy centers. Courtesy copier cards may be purchased at the Value Transfer stations on the Lower Level and 1st Floor. Copying or printing in the Library is 10¢ per page.
Periodicals / Microform Materials and Equipment
Latest issues of periodicals are available in unbound format in Current Periodicals, Lower Level. Microform materials (microfilms, microfiche, microcards) and the equipment to read and print such materials are also available on the Lower Level.
Special Collections and University Archives
Unusual and valuable collections of rare and fragile books, original art prints and photographs, and historical papers are located in Special Collections on the 3rd Floor.
We are committed to providing accessibility of library materials, programs, and services to all students. Staff working in public areas will make every effort to accommodate requests from library users whose disabilities limit their use of the Library's facilities and resources. If services are needed beyond those listed please contact Library Administration at (562) 985-4047.